1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever challenge a city ordinance?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, May 11, 2010.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a neighbor on the city council who calls the code enforcement officer every time I park my trailer in the driveway. I'm sick of hearing about this. I've tried numerous different parking arrangements but the best solution for me is parking it in the driveway. I am thinking about challenging their ordinance ,but am wondering if anyone has a similar experience with this. There are tons of so called code violations around my area ,but seeminly no one cares except for my pain in the neck council member neighbor.
  2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm curious if it isn't in your driveway can i assume it would be in the street infront of your house??? i would think your neighbhor would rather you have it in your driveway vs. the street but some people just like to @ssholes!!!
  3. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

No I have room to park it in the side yard, but it has messed up the grass. I wanted to put down a gravel parking area but they won't let me do that either. So much more convenient for me in the drive. It's only a enclosed 6x12.
  4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Move to the skanky side of town.
  5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

This seems to be a neighbor that is flashing around his so-called authority.
    I would look into this violation and do some of your own research and if this persists, try to refrain from these violations. I have seen it when someone who challenged the city and their board member, there license or privilege license was permanently revoked.
    Build a fence between you and your neighbor tall enough that he can't see the trailer, or is this a violation too?????
  6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

play his game read up on your little codes and see if hes breaking them if he is turn him in
  7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I think its time to get creative with this. They won't let you put down a gravel parking area, but I bet you could put a "planting bed" there. You could always get some mulch or stone and a couple cheap plants on the edges and "poof" you've got yourself a new landscape bed (aka parking space). And it just so happens that this new landscape bed is a perfect fit for your trailer.
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that is suprisingly good and i bet you could do it too!
  9. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what does the ordinance state? I would think if you can challenge a zoning ordinance you surely could challenge a parking one. You might have to consult with a lawyer for his advice but I don't think you would have to retain one.

Also when did they pass this ordinance? If you were parking it there all along before it passed you may be able to make a challenge on that basis.
  10. theheisk

theheisk LawnSite Member

Daym, I love living in the country! You guys that have to put up with stuff like that have all my respect! Good luck with your challange and I think Brad has a good idea.
    Posted via Mobile Device