Ever cut the wrong lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by StBalor, Mar 8, 2006.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I cut grass for a realtor and he gave me an address to a house he was selling. wanted me to clean the yard and cutt the grass. He said the home owner would not be home. I went there and there was a van in the drive but i did not think nothing of it. half way through i noticed people looking out the window at us. they never came outside and since the realtor was paying me i never bothered them. I just got done and the realtor came by and stopped. he said he wanted to make sure i found the house ok cause he was getting ready to leave after waiting for a plumber at the house he was selling. I said, Isn't this the house you wanted me to cut? he said no, and told me the address. well i showed him the paper he gave me, he had wrote down the wrong address. so we ended up taking care of someones lawn for free. And it was a mess when we got there. did not look like it had been cut in months.
    I then went to the house i was suppose to cut and while there the homeowner from the 1st house stops by and asks me if he owes me anything? I told him no, this realtor already took care of it. but here's my card if you need me in the future. and if you ever sell your house look up this realtor.

2. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

ROTFLMAO

It is a good thing you guys arent in the demolition business. Just kiddin ^5

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You are on top man,i would have never told that 1.

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

lol thats realtors for ya lol.

5. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

We were doing one of our commercial accts (nursing home-hospital) and I was way behide on my work load. So a good friend of mine wanted to help so I let him , told him the where the property line was and he shook his head yes. I took one part of the property and he took the other and usually we meet in the middle when we run two mowers on it. I got to the middle and ge was no where to be found!;) I tram over to his side of the property and he went down right where I told him to go but started cutting in the opposite direction of where he was suppose too!:hammerhead: We had a good laugh but it put us back 40-45 min. And they got free lawn care. for at least that part of the lawn!:angry:

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

ya ive cut the wrong lawn before. Im just waiting for the day where someone plays a prank on me and I tear out the wrong lawn. LOL

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

That happened here in Phx. a couple of years ago, demmo guys tore down the wrong house. They had some splainen to do. Years ago as a newbie I went to the wrong house and sprayed the entire back yard with round-up. Was prepping for a landscape renovation. Here there are st, place, way, ave etc. got a place and a way mixed up. Never heard from the people.

8. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I've not only cut the wrong house before, but I've also areated the wrong house before to. Thats what I get for listening to someone that doesn't know what they're talking about.:hammerhead:

9. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Good marketing tactics :laugh: There is actually a volunteer program that I used to participate in called Random Acts of Kindness. Basically there would be anywhere from 3-5 people in a group we would go to a house or person at a shopping center and perform a random act of kindness. We mowed a lot of lawns. We then would leave a card on the door saying what the program was, to pay it forward etc etc. Got so many calls asking if we'd go and take care of their landscaping regularly :laugh:

10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Last fall I did a full cleanup, gutters, and a winterizer app for the wrong house.

The lady called me a 2 weeks later complaining I hadnt been there...

I was one street off but I swore up and down she said "terrace" and not "drive". I wrote it down "terrace" on 3 different sheets of paper.

I went to the house the next day and did the right one.

The funny thing is I left my little yard marker like I always do after an app, its got my name and # on it and the people never called me to even tell me I did the wrong house.