ever delt with spring green lawncare

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboyil, Jan 10, 2003.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

any one ever worked for or competed agianst spring green lawce it a franchise system there based in IL? i am 17 w/ spray licence and i was thinking about going to work for then this season.

just any thoughts if you have delt with them

alex :)

2. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

Have you ever done this type of work before?

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, they compete with me every year and every year I get a few more of their customers. Then again I am not putting out full color pamphlets every spring thru a franchise that sprays more water than a fire engine pumping at a 5 alarm blaze.

It may be good for you to work for them for a while but keep in mind that with the right motivation and business sence, you can do it for yourself. Good Luck.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnboyil

Take Mow Ed's advise. He is right on the money.

A smart man will educate himself before diving head first in to the water. Less chance of going belly up.

Everyday I read a post on the internet by some idiot asking how do I start a business. Answer is plain and simple. Work for the big guy and learn.

5. Etlawn

Etlawn LawnSite Member

What do you mean they spray more water than a firehose?

6. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

proably means that they use a high concentration of water in their mix. Talked to a guy last year that worked for one of the really big guys, the info that he shared was that his mix was so diluted that he was somewhat concered that if the local ag inspectors were to check his tanks, he would be in some sort of trouble. His impression was that there was just enough nitrogen or iron to give the customer a quick green up but nothing that lasted.....

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I took it that they just do a lot of business. Very good idea to go and work for them for a little while just for education purposes. A prime opportunity at your age.

MATT

8. lawnboyil

thanks all . but according to the tech manager who didnt know that i could even be licence at this age i am not old enoght to drive the treuck according to Co. policy

alex

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Alex

Yep 25 is the magic age for the Insurance Company. Has to do with under 25 drivers having the most auto damage claims.

If you are a mature 17 year old then maybe you can understand. That no one likes having a younger person telling him or her what to do. My business partner is 40 and claims his young age has lost us work. Most of our customers are retired; we live in God's waiting room, Florida.

I have a good friend who works on a golf course. His title is spray tech. His real job is assti super. He just turned 22 and although he is very Sharpe his age works against him. The greens committee is made up of 70 year olds.

The point here is by the time you are old enough you will be too old. So don't give up try another company. Working for another company will not only teach you more about spraying but also give you business and marketing insight. It takes more than being a good spray tech to build a business. You can also learn from watching other make mistakes.

In the spring I will have a spray tech position open. 18 is my insurance companies magic age. I require my spray techs to take college classes in horticulture. There is a college in my area that offers night classes in horticulture. It is possible to get a degree at night.

PS Learn as much as you can, stay in school. I am 62 and still take college classes even though I have 3 degrees.

10. lawnboyil

thanks Ric

it looks like spraying this season is out of the question for me working. but i am on to a new idea the aquascape ponds. i figure i could pop a couple out this year. with my dad being on the site ofr the bid so i can be taken half way serious

oh well my age dose work agianst me

alex