Ever dig up anything good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawndog, Nov 30, 2000.

1. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

I was thinking the other day about all the times I dug holes for plants,etc.,and all the dirt I moved in the last twenty or so years,but I've never discovered anything of any value.Say like a gold nugget,well it sounds good.Any lucky finders out there, and if so what?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I found a 20 dollar bill in a pile of wet leaves once while doing a cleanup.... Does THAT count?
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Last summer I stopped by a drainage ditch for a quick 5 minute job. My son was with me. He looked down and found a $20 bill sticking out from a rock. I had been to this area lots of other times and never found anything.
  4. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

The only things I ever dig up cost me money! Those dumb telephone lines.
  5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I was picking up road trash before i started mowing and found a ten dollar bill in a milkshake cup. I guess thats not digging but even that ten dollars put a smile on my face, some gas and lunch.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Years ago I was helping a friend landscape his brothers townhouse in the historic old Pullman section of Chicago and I dug up an old silver dime and a penny from 1881. Don't know what they are worth but its pretty interesting.
  7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I'm always finding kids toys dog bones etc.... I found $5 once blowing around a lawn that I was at. Luckily I've never dug anything up. My luck it would be a casket!!
  8. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I dug up an axe head with a broken handle and after I cleaned it off I could read "craftsman" on it. I took it to Sears and got a new axe !
  9. Turf Cutters

Turf Cutters LawnSite Member

I dug into a miss mark power line last year. It was about twenty feet from were it was marked. Luckily we were digging by hand.
  10. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

My cousin is a contractor/excavator. On a job that they were clearing the land on they kept digging up these rotted black boxes. Turned out to be caskets from the 1800's. No one had known about it and it didn't last that long since they grinded everything up.. True story