Ever do a $900 25' x 3' paver walkway?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Local ad i saw has an advertisement from a company claiming they'll come out and do a 25x3' paver walkway for $900 lol. Since we've done ones similar to that size last year, and net at least $2k with only a couple modifications attaching to the driveway or removal of an existing crushed stone walkway as "prep", i cant ever see doing one of these even in the best of scenarios for less than 1k.

Just a pallet of block for something of this size is $350-425. Even if your crew could go in in one single 8hr day, prep, lay and walk away by 5pm

assume $400 for block
    $30-50 edging?
    $100~ crushed stone/aggregate
    $15 spikes or nails for edging
    - excavation prep, most times we always have to load and haul offsite big or small
    Say 2-3 guys @12hr for 8hr day
    $288 roughly for 3 guys, plus taxes
    -vehicle/machine wear and tear
    -hauling skid of block to site from your supplier

your cost before profit is $853, wtf, for $900? HOW?

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Easy enough

Cheapest brick is $1.25 or so sq.ft.
    No restraint, no nails
    No geo-textile
    No polymeric sand
    All crushed stone with stone dust as screenings. 6" max. excavation
    Runner pattern= minimal cutting
    Cheap labour $10/hr

Chance of picking up more work while on site = good possibility.

I think its possible but highly unlikely that everyone is going to want or have the setting for a 25'x3' walkway unless all your homes are built the same.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Zeo right. I'd alost bet its a stone dust base.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

hey, I got guys by me quoting between 9-10 per square. The show up to the site, scribble down what they claim they are going to use and state a square foot price. When I get there they wonder why I'm not producing a price immediately. I have to then explain why I don't have a square foot price.

We did a 6x8 paver landing for a deck last summer (somewhere around that size) and if memory serves me correctly it came out to be around 1800 bucks. We only excavated, brought new topsoil in, reset the grade, and seeded.

LOL

5. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe it is a way to get into new neighborhoods or it is an ad that when you call they say ok, and when they show up they say they just sold out of that stone but we can use this stone for $XXXX. That is rediculous and mrusk is dead on with the prices. And around here the "good" landscaping employees get paid $10.00 per hour.

6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done something similar, let me try to remember all the details.

First off, it was for a guy about 15 houses down, leaving spoils on-site on a Saturday. It was 40x3.5', L-shape, with 32' being one side and 8' being the other. Approx costs:

Excavation 8"- by hand, myself with my really hard working "foreman", 3 hours x $50/hr= $150
    Gravel- 3yd (only bought 2yd, had 1 left over), $60
    Geotex- 175sf @ 0.10/sf= $17.50
    Sand- 1yd= $40
    Pavers- $2/sf x 150sf= $300
    Edge- 8 pieces (had 2 left over) = $65
    Spikes- 100-120 (no idea actual #)= $60
    Polysand- 1 bag= $25
    Soil+Sod= $50

TOTAL= 767.50 plus about 4 more hours to install= $50

Charged him $1500 (cash).

Not bad for a Saturday. I was done at 4pm and relaxed with a burger and some TV.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, but you dont need a full pallet, even after the 10% waste factor. So the left overs get rolled into the next job, those left overs get rolled ino the job after that, and so on.

Also, one example, this past summer and fall Belgard had a surplus of 2 yr old pavers that they sold for around $1/ SF. It's said that in Dec one contractor bought ALL the remaining pallets. When I heard that I instantly thought "not a bad idea, with the bad economy you can really sell a lot of small jobs at that price".

Or could be that the guy is out of his mind and he'll be out of business in no time.

On the other hand, about 4 years ago I attended a VanderKooi seminar, his associate Tony Bass doing the speaking. This is what Mr. Bass said, and it's words I live by: "Never under estimate your competition"

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  8. LB1234

If they are the same guys that do this type of work....about 2" of base, and perhaps an inch or so of dust just dump and spread. Make sure to precompact the base so you can walk all over it as you lay the pavers. You only excavate about a half inch outside the border coarse...one inch tops. Why go farther than what the walk needs to be. Why waste time pulling back the bedding...just trowel some concrete right into place. This was done summer of '07. This past summer it was settling all over the place and heaving. There are tripping hazards all over the darn thing. We watched them do this work over a two week timeframe.

9. LB1234

would help if I attached the pictures for a reference. Sorry:laugh:

LB_Paver_WhatNotToDo_01.jpg

LB_Paver_WhatNotToDo_02.jpg

10. LB1234

one more...

LB_Paver_WhatNotToDo_03.jpg