Ever donated services to a raffle??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MacLawnCo, Aug 4, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Two months ago, i was approached by the private school that i maintain regarding me donating towards their raffle to raise money. I agreed and donated a free mowing within my service area. It worked out really well, and will result in a $40 lawn client within a subdivision i already work.

My question is this: i have the opportunity to do this again, but on a much larger basis. My church of 5000+ is doing a raffle, and they are looking for businesses to donate anything from services to merchandise for a silent auction. I am contomplating donating another free mowing or two, and would like to know if anyone else has done anything similar to this before. Think it has potential?? Would you do it?

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I do this for my wife's silent auction at her school.I have a Nursery that donates trees and I donate the delivery and install.

3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I donate a lawn service to the annual silent auction that benefits the gym where my daughter is in gymnastics. Haven't gotten any business directly from this, but people around the gym hear my name. I also put a half page ad in their programs when a meet isheld in the gym and I keep a holder with my business cards on the receptionists desk. I have gotten a couple of one time landscaping jobs from the business cards.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I donate a 5 application fert/weed control deal for up to 5,000 sf to my kids school.

5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

1. you help the school.
    2. it's tax deductible as a donation(at least it is here)
    3. great advertisement

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I also am thinking of "Donating" a free mow to my kids school fete raffle. Problem is, the people who's kids go to that school all live on at least a couple of acres. I would have to word it like....... "1hrs Free Mowing" (about $50 or so) or I could get stuck with 150 acres of steep mountains or something which are in my area.

I still dont know if I'll do it or not. It would be for a good cause. Like to know how others feel about it. Excellent question mate!

7. I mow a hall/training center used by local Vol. Fire Dept. and every year they hold a raffle, auction, card tournament and a washer pitching tournament. This year I donated a E-Z up shade canopy to the auction (my cost $95.00 went for $210.00) and bought a sponsorship for the card and washer pitching tournament ($25.00).
    This way we both benefit and I don't have to mowed a pasture or clean overgrown flower beds that only made the department $50-$60 dollars.

8. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Mickhippy;That's exactly why I went with the tree deal.My interpretation of a $50 lawn and the potential winner's could be completely different.I thought of adding a sq.ft. disclaimer but do you really want to mow only half of somone's yard? The tree deal normally leads to bed maintenance,design work, etc.Don't get me wrong I'm not doing it to drum up business I'm doing it to help the school.I also don't want to get burned and work all day for $50.00 either.Only disclaimer about the tree is 2 people have to be able to set it in final resting spot without using power equipment(don't want to get stuck hiring a crane to lift it over a house or something like that)and can be transported by tree cart.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We do a silent auction here for a charity called Whaley Children's Home. It is for underprivileged children and is a MAJORLY well known icon of Flint. 4 times out of 5, I get more work from what I do, and it's always great to help out. They hold a big dinner for the event, also. Harry Chapin used to come here every year and his concert would always go to benefit the Whaley Children's Center.:angel:
    Wow! I can't believe I just hit 3000 posts! I have GOT to get a life!:dizzy: :p

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have not done this but I believe that if you put a limit on the mowing area you can't help but come out on top. This gets your name out there, you are doing something good to help a school or charity and you may get a client as the end result.

Gravely_Man