ever dump someone cus the lawn grows too fast?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i can't imagine what the heck is going on at this property. i just started there, applied less than 1lb of nitro per k, and the grass is like 14 inches tall every week. first cut if the year took less than 30 minutes, that was with edging wacking, everything. i'm now up to 1.5 hrs, and hauling 5 barrels of grass. needless to say i quit today. i think he dumped like 40-0-0 on it in late fall maybe. in any event, i'm done, no mas! ever drop them cus of surge growth?

2. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a customer who said he didn't water the lawn, or fertilize. On the first cut we removed 6 (size is 15 Bushels) loads of clippings with our Peco type Collector. Monday we just removed 3 loads and met up with the Fertilizer guy. We will keep our word on this 3/4 acre job for price but next year there will be a price increase if the grass keeps growing the way it does. I thought about dumping this guy but we just picked up the neighbour's house to cut.

Oh yes, The fert guy said he was using 12-6-12 on the lawn and does 4 apps a year.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two that have front yards that grow like crazy. Its real hard to blow drive & sidewalks clean as well as making lawn look nice, but we get it done. I wouldnt think of dumping them though. I have all there neighbors

4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Ileft a lawn today that looked like complete crap, because the lawn grew 8 inches in 7 days. I had no time to rake it today, it is about 1.5 acres. I will be going there Monday and charging 30 per man hour.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have a couple of lawns like that. I talked with the home owners and told them if they continue to fertilize at those excessive rates I'll have to double cut the grass and charge them for two cuts. Cutting grass that is 10" tall is rough on the equipment and I let them know it. If they want me to continue service once a week while they over fertilize they'll have to pay more, otherwise I'll say good-bye.

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a few lawns like that 2 years ago. I got fed up, but didnt quit I just sprayed them with Embark and slowed them way down. There is a way to beat the fert guys at their own game.

7. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

No, but I had a customer drop me because her grass was growing too much. She asked would I place a pre-em/fert earlier in the spring now she's bitching. I've had compliments from every person walking by for a month because the grass was so green. Some people are just crazy I guess.

8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Why quit, raise the price per cut and its job security. I would never drop a customer just because their lawn grows to quick....They are paying for it.

Jeff

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have one that dosen't use fert and it still grows over an 1" a day. We had to triple cut it today. I'm going to start schedualing it every 5 days.

Gene

10. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby, ask if they will go to a four day schedule, until things slow up on the growth. If not, you will have to dump them.