ever fall cleanup yourself, right out of a spring cleanup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you charge $350 for fall cleanup. the fee for spring cleanup is $125. you do an exceptional job at fall cleanup, hand picking every little scrap out of the beds, and off the lawn. spring rolls around, the place is still spotless. customer says not to do the spring clean up, it doesn't need it. did you just screw yourself out of a spring cleanup fee?

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, you must be really bored. Maybe you could think up some type of surcharge to cover it. Like " I'm not going to make money off of you because you dont need a spring clean up" surcharge. I'm sure they will pay it. After all, you are the only professional in town.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

please stop abusing me. this thread is a very realistic posibility, it has happened to me before. if you don't care to reply like a profesional, then..... O WAIT, you're not a professional. back of the bus please.

4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Be a Man and Charge based on an eXpected Hrly. All your Problems Will Go Away.

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Booby;You have got to change the attitude. It's getting so that everyone else is wrong, but BOOBY ALMIGHTY!! Maybe it is really BOOBY ALMOST, after all. Cool it with the attitude. Thank you!

6. Hey guys, play nice, I understand what Bobby is saying but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.. Hope I don't, I usually incorporate my fall clean up into the last three mowings, that away the customer gets 3 easy payments instead of one extra large bill. Works for me, I have maybe 2 more cuts/ cleans in the next 2 weeks and then I am done..Till spring

7. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

NOW, on the more serious side...what does your contract state? Are both fall and spring clean-up a must with the contract? Or are the customers the BOSS and you the EMPLOYEE? I can't see where you could force them. There surely has to be enough work around you that it shouldn't matter.

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

No, you gave the client what he paid for.
    Crawdad

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

you're acting silly. this is a realistic scenerio. in fact, turfdude made me think of this, while chatting with him the other day he said, "we do our fall cleanups so thoroughly, that our spring cleanups are a joke." and i thought, "o boy, i've opened that can of worms, and it can be a problem." so jim, get off the bandwagon, this is a realistic scenerio, that i think most of us have faced.

10. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I,ve not yet had this problem, but what i do is, i do all my customers clean-ups before thanksgiving so the yard looks good for the holidays. Usually the leaves have not all fallin. the key thing is getting them done before thanksgiving, then if they want a quicky before x-mas i go back on a HRLY thing. that leaves me open for work in spring! non- customers i take care of after thanksgiving, right before x-mas.