1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ever figure out profit per cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 20, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

anyone ever figure out true profit per cut? im finding if i dont do other higher value work as well as cutting, the profit is real low. it works out to about $12 profit per cut. does this sound right, anyone have similar results?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's about it, for some jobs. Unfortunately, I think that's about what the neighbor kid ends up with, too.:rolleyes:
  3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how you go about deciding what to charge, but you should have some way to tell whether or not you're making money. If you don't use CLIP or Lawn Monkey, consider getting one of them. If you have a spreadsheet, you can tell there. Keep track of costs so that you know what your operating costs are per hour. Income - expenses = profit. $12 per job is not good profit unless it took 20 minutes to do the job.

This ain't rocket science folks!
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

$12 per cut could be good or bad, depends on what % it is of the cut revenue. if you make $12 profit on a $25 cut, well...you might be doing better $ than a rocket scientist.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, actually, that $12 profit is on a $25 lawn. it takes us about 15-20 min gate to gate, but there is the ride to the next stop, even if its a 5 min ride, after 10 of them, thats about an hour. cant cut the lawn any faster than that. we are really trying to figure down to the last minute, and dollar, to be as efficient as possible for next season, doing some major restructuring. thanx for the replies.