Ever get bruned out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Sep 27, 2002.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I have just been in a funk lately. Not wanting to go out and give bids, not real excited about new business.

Part of it, I suppose, is because we are plenty busy right now and things are going good. So I don't feel the need to go out and get the new business as much. Still, I find myself telling people I'll come out and give them a bid within a day or two then I just blow it off. It's weird.

I think another part of it is that I am just totally burned out for this season. I wish it was winter already. I just want to take a break for a while.

This seems to happen at some point each year. Then, all of a sudden, I get a bolt of energy around late winter time. But it seems to have happened early for me this year.

This ever happen to anyone else?
  2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I get a little burned out every year. I try to think about the Winter as time to energize again. It usually passes in the Winter and by Spring, I'm ready to go.
  3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Jim, i hear you usually around mid-september i get extremly burned to the point that when the phone rings i gringe and dont want to have to call anyone back, i also get way to moody as well. once the leaves start fallen i usually get out of a funk. bvut now the littlest things set me off, sucks. tony
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Burned out? I have not had a single day off since very early June. When I get burned out I think about working for the man and this snaps me right out of it.LOL
  5. Toatlandscape

Toatlandscape LawnSite Member

This will pass like it always does. For me it is usually the first part of August. It is usually gone when temperature FINALLY drops below 70. Cause then I know every 2 week mowing is just around the corner. Same money less work I love it!!
  6. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Yes i get burned out
    Then i take a day off and
    remember how nice my 100 days in Mexico were
    last year and began to ponder how much better
    my 120 days this year will
    be and how i can volunteer my time enjoy my work, beach

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Happens to me every year as well. I am now getting a recharge again. It is cooling off, and work is more pleasant. I think the idea of the money flow slowing down is helping my motivation, got to make it while the sun shines. Hey Jim, maybe you could purchase a new tool for the business, or make a plan to do something special with the wife for a couple days to get away. Might just shake you out of the doldrums, or maybe consider a donation to a charity if you plug along and drum up a bit more business. Some times just a little motivation for something you enjoy can help, at least it does me.

Take care, you will come out of it fine.

8. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Hey Jim, I have that problem too right now, I call it the BLAHS....
    Nice cool weather, somewhat sunny, ,makes you want to take a nap under a tree type stuff, just kinda BORED! I stopped advertising a while back and really just am not looking for new customers right now, just want to take care of the ones I have and can't wait for winter.... Soon here I'll be doing some volenteer work taking care of the grounds here at a local lighthouse and I'm really looking forward to that as a diversion.
    I spent the weekend down in your neck of the woods over at seaside, Oregon and just didn't feel like comming back to here(silverdale, Washington.) So far every one has agreed to my price increases for next season and is lining up for winter clean up. But I think I will take december off and hang around the oregon coast and watch the storms blow in. Last year I was able to find a few house sitting jobs there along the coast for a week here and there. Come febuary, I'll be itching for spring to come!!
  9. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I got it early this year, late july or so. Went on a mini-vacation up to maine, and didnt want to come back. I figured the va-ca would help, but man, when I got back I was still in the fishing mode, couldnt bring myself to work! I was the same way for a while this summer about picking up new work, then my employee quit, so I said "GOOD, now I can work at my schedule, not accept any new jobs, and do the maintenance by myself", and it has been better since then. Buy some equipment, that always helps! I bought a new 21 a few weeks back to help get over it. WINTER IS ALMOST HERE! I cant wait. Don't get me wrong, I thrive on work (am now landscaping part time, in school full time, and working for the family business 2 nights/week), but I just can't wait for the break from mowing, mowing, mowing.
  10. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

I start getting "burned out" durring droughts when business is slow but then I think that I could be working somewhere that I have a set schedule and a boss, that usualy snaps me out of it pretty fast.