1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever get business by doing this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

While driving around lately I have seen some terrible mowing jobs (clumping, grass in road, missed spots, etc.). Some of these jobs have been performed by big companies (multiple crews), and others have ranged from part-timers (like myself) to scrubs.

I will post some pics soon.

I am a little aggravated that these people who obviously do not care about their work get some pretty decent accounts. By decent I mean properties that should be easy to maintain (flat, big, open, etc.). Who knows what they are charging for service? Maybe its dirt cheap?

However, I bid a price based on doing the job correctly so thats how I look at it. You shouldn't agree to do the work unless you plan on doing it right.

My thought is why not take photos and send them to the property manager stating what is being done wrong and how my company makes sure these type of things don't happen? Has anyone ever done this?
    At the moment my schedule is full, but it seems like these people would be handing the business away if I were to send a letter as described.
    Anyone ever use this type of marketing? Any thoughts on its effectiveness?

2. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

We try our best not to bad-mouth other companies and have not tried this technique yet. Dont get me wrong though, I really do wish I had the guts to go up and say that to a potential customer. The main concern I have is that the people that are currently maintaining the property might be friends with the person in charge of hiring out grounds maintenance (or worse, the owner of the company). This is why I keep my mouth shut, but maybe you could put it in better terms so that it wouldn't anger the potential if this was the case.

3. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Its all business and thats part of it.

I wouldnt take pictures of the properties without permission, however.
  4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto.....both Grazz and Terra
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Best of luck if this ideas works for you. I would be a little too concerned about stepping on toes to do this.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Who cares? I say crunch their toes if thats your main concern. Business is business.

Jimbo, i think this is an excelent idea.
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Do you see these terrible mowing jobs at the same property every week? Sometimes we have days where everything goes wrong, and we have had to return the next day to finish cleaning up the work.

I rarely have seen really bad work done by a commercial company on a regular basis.
  8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That's fine and dandy, until you get into a jam and need to sub contract out work, and no local guys will work for you!
  9. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

I wouldn't take a picture of the property without their premission. Also I don't think pointing out all the things done wrong rather you never know how someone is going to react by that could be their relation doing the work. One thing that I might do is go to the property manager with some photos of the propertys you maintain and show him/her the quality of work you do and then go from there. That way your not directly putting someone down.
  10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

No offense, but I would NEVER tell somebody what their current person is doing wrong unless I knew the people who I was saying that to, or if I know the people who are doing the work, and can say it in a constructive way. Otherwise, there is a "nice" little legal term called "slander."