1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever get the trailer wobbles?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by daysel, Sep 10, 2007.

1. daysel

daysel LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

I picked up 3cu.yd. of decomposed granite and the loader dumped it near the back of the trailer.(behind the axles) Sure enough im driving down the road about 65mph and that SOB starts to wobble back and forth. I let off the accelerator and slowly tried to slow down while fighting the sways. By the time I slowed to about 30, my tires were squeeling with each sway and im taking up 3 lanes and about to eat it.
    I finally stopped and discovered a flat tire on the trailer and about a yard of granite spread over 3 lanes for 1/8 mile.:hammerhead:
    When I got to the site and unhooked the trailer, it was so back heavy it sprung up when I unhitched it and sat on its rear.
    It scared the crap out of me and made me realize that I need to be more careful.
  2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

People like you are why the government will probably one day make a trailer towing license to teach the basics that you ignored. Check tires before every trip. Don't overload the trailer. Put 10-15% of the load on the tongue. Make sure load is properly secured. Sorry if I come across like an ass but you're a danger to everyone on the road.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

well nobody told me basics either and i had a ton of dirt swinging like a playground and landed me on an island before i could stop.
    they probably need to offer a course i did not know about the weight to the front hell i blamed the guy who loaded me
  4. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

That is the problem nowadays everyone blames someone else. You are responsible for your own load. It is you responsibility to make sure that it is safe and secure. Also when you trailer starts to "whip" all you have to do is apply the trailer brakes. It will slow the trailer down and stop it from whipping. No wonder insurance is so damn expensive.
  5. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

That reminds me of the time my wife and I were on our bikes on the GS parkway and some jackass with an overloaded trailer started swaying. You probably shouldn't be doing 65 when your pulling 6 tons.
  6. daysel

daysel LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

Thanks dad!
    I've been towing for years and never had a problem. This was the first time that it happened and it was because it was loaded wrong. I should of gotten out and checked but i've been going there for years w/o a problem.
    Besides, I've talked to alot of people that have done this and it's not uncommon to get the wobbles.
    It actually happens to truckers often.
    For the record, I probably have a better driving record than most and have never been in an accident.
  7. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

It happens! I went to a rock quarry to pick up some crushed rock to put down in a storage area behind my garage. The trailer went AWOL on me too!This was a single axle trailer. Everyone gets complacent sometimes and overloads...sometimes just trying to save an extra trip. Chalk it up to experience and a lesson learned. I now have a large gooseneck trailer and have hauled enough of different types of material, that I know its limits. I carefully check all the safety items out before every trip....lights, lugs, brakes, breakaway cable, secure attachment to the gooseneck ball, and err on the side of safety when it comes to the weight you are hauling. Glad everything was fine after your experience.....it'll scare the crap out of you!

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

dito on the trailer brakes. Most people don't think about that nice little controller having a direct link to the breaks. If you start to sway, just "tap" the tensioner and let the brakes pull the trailer back taught against the truck. As far as load safety goes. it is real easy to let your friend help you hook up your trailer or secure your load, but i learned the hard way not to do that any more. I let a friend of mine at the local rental yard hook up my equipment trailer, and when i went to load up that 8klb skidder, the tounge came off the hitch and went into my tailgate. Now, i hook up my own trailer, load my own equipment and secure my own load. that way i am the one to blame if something stupid happens.
  9. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

This happens more times than one would think. Sure the trailer was not loaded correctly, but there are certain measures you can take with a double axle trailer to come to safe stop. Never under any circumstance try to slow down when the trailer starts to sway. This will just "upset" the trailer more. Reach down to the trailer brake controller, and activate ONLY the trailer brake. Then, hit the throttle pedal ( hard ) and "yank" on the trailer. The trailer brakes will make the trailer try and straighten out. Combined with the "yank" from the truck will straighten the trailer out, so you are then able to slow down and stop safely. As an analogy, think of a string laying on the floor. Pick up one end of the string and yank the string quickly. The string will straighten out it acelerates through the motion. The trailer works the same way. There is no doubt that it was loaded incorrectly, but that is your responsibility. Just remember to not panic and only use the trailer brake untill the sway is gone....Glad everything turned out alright and no one got hurt....One last thing, make sure that before you tow again to re-torque the trailer ball nut. The violent motion can actually break the nut free....

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

for the record i was not passing the buck i stated i did not know any better so that is just what i thought happened. you guys need to settle down everyone is not fully aware of all the dangers of the businness that is why i said maybe they should offer a course i had no clue and i am not afraid to read anything i just thought if its not too much weight i would be ok and my single axle does not have brakes