ever get this one?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Mar 17, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

boy, had a customer ruin my whole day today, starting at 9 am. after asking for a quote on some work, we agreed on a price, and was set to pick up a deposit tommorow, and do the work friday. then this shmuck calls me at 9 am, on a sunday morning to ask me if i would agree to let him have the materials delivered , he would pay for them, and i would rework the price based just on labor, not pickup , delivery, and material costs. he thought my price was "just way too high" . i told him sure, as soon as the best resturaunt in town allows u to bring your own steak, and have thier chef cook it for u, at a discounted price. then i hung up . people make me sick! ever get this?

2. They make you want to do bad things somedays.

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

have it happen once or twice and I reacted the same way you did.... But... there are ways around that... know your profit margins on jobs and what ur expenses are... and charge accordingly.... if the guy wants to get the materials... fine... but but just charge him accordingly... if you had marked up the materials... add that mark-up into your labor costs... why let the know it all homeowner get the best of you... :)

What part of NJ u from?

4. Commander

Commander Banned

I agree with you guys on this subject to a certain extent. I have talked with a few people who I respect in this business and have come to a few conclussions. 1) When doing stone walls the customer buys the stone, and they have it delivered. 2) When purchasing BIG plants the customer buys them and has them delivered, you do not guarantee them. What I am referring to here is field stone and trees.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

i know what yur saying paps. but obviuosly this guy thinks hes gonna save money by doing it this way. i already went by and spent an hour there taking measurments and talking, now that hour was wasted cus if i tell him fine, order the stuff yur self, this is what i want to do the labor, thats not gonna fly either. u know, when people give me a quote on work, i either say ok, or no thanx, i dont d*ck them around. i also dont like to tell people my mark up on materials, or my labor rate.. like this idiot would actually hire us knowing, for a ton of stone that costs $45, we r charging him $147, or a yd of mulch costing 7 bucks, is selling for $60. oh well, im over it. thanx dudes

6. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

What part of Nj you from? and whats the name of your co.?

7. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Happened to me just this past week. Arrived to do a cleanup and lay some bark, guy already had 6yrds. of bark in a small old dumptruck. I did not t adjust the price and when he paid me he threw an extra 50$.

8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I just had a customer ask about some plantings around her yard and asked if she would save money by buying the plants herself. I just told her that she would still pay for delivery and that I can't guarantee plants that were'nt purchased by me. She had no problem with that.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

unfortunately, i just cant see doing business like that. if im buying mulch at $7 yd. and selling each yd. at $60, picked up, delivered, and installed, how could the homeowner possibly save money by buying it( at a nursery retail price of $23 per yd, plus $25 delivery) . we dont work "by the hour". we have formulas for doing work where materials r included, if i had to charge "by the hour", it would be in the nieghborhood of #75 per hr for my two man crew. the clock would start when the truck stopped, and stop when the last crumb of mulch was swept up and equipment put away. ok, what would happen if i took my truck for repairs, but told the repair people i would supply the parts? they wouldnt even bother with me. o well, to each his own i guess

10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't exactly phrase that properly. What I meant was she agreed to me taking care of everything. I never do business that way either.