1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ever had an employee steal a company truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

or suspect one of stealing truck? ever had one disappear halfway through the day? how long do you wait before calling the cops? ...or what do you do if you cant get a hold of him or find him anywhere in the area hes supposed to be working at?
  2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are still waiting at 12:30am for the return of your crew, I would call the police and the hospital.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Please tell me we are not speaking of one of the laudable Salvadorians?

Say it isnt so....:cry:

TEXASECHO88 LawnSite Member

WOW.. I would call the authority immediatly. I mean that is your investment and now some guy that thinks he is outsmarting you has taken off with it . CALL THE POLICE!
  5. Brianslawn

nope. new white boy that started last week. the salvadorians take over in truck tomarrow. weve had maybe 2 complaints all year on mowing crews. i got 2 on this guy middle of the day and went to investigate. drove by yards looking for him and checking quality. 3 were good. 2 had already complained, rest werent trimmed or edged or blown off that he had been to. even the mowing was looking half @$$ed. when i found him he was loading up fixin to leave without mowing the back yard. i told him we going to finish together and he started in with the whitey excusses. the wind was blowing so he figured he didnt need to blow off, etc. i told him to go down the street to the next one (few houses down) and he kept going. he was mia for 3.5 hrs before showing back up at shop. i kept going by every house on list and looking on other streets nearby and hes nowhere to be found. he did get 2 more done and a better job than others (still missed some on one).

still he had 2 hrs unaccounted. i search for 2 hrs before calling cops. he finally showed back up at 7:30 at which i chewed him out and fired him. cant wait till marcus darake sends me my mexicans!
  6. Brianslawn

me and my dad took off after he come back doing quallity control checks and finishing the yards. got done with that at 9. the people were glad to know that we knew there was a problem before they had a chance to call.

anyone who trys to steal a blue chevy with yellow lawnmowing decals all over it (one of our other companies) is pretty frikin stooopid. all of my trucks are real easily recognizable around town. nobody would get too far in one.
  7. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

thank god you got your gear back, how can anybody prevent this from happening to them ??? i have no idea. :confused:
  8. Brianslawn

active gps tracking. ive been looking into it for a few months. also dont hire whites. salvadorians respect you and your stuff better.
  9. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Gee whats the world coming to when we have to use GPS , in the old days we use to worry about employees doing a good job, now we wonder if they are going to take off with the gear, not being american but i would be worried about Mexicans just driving home (mexico) i guess they would get caught at border though ???
  10. Brianslawn

i dont hear of too many trying to sneak into mexico, though. i have found our local white population (arkansas) to be the least trustworthy of any race. the salvadorians are treated like kings.