Ever had this problem with a PDA??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GarPA, Sep 29, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Man out of nowhere my Handspring Visor PDA has gone out to lunch. And no I had not backed it up for a few weeks so I lost all kinds of data. I think it might be fried as its now acting up everytime I try to use it. Heres what its doing:
    1, when you try to tap the screen with the stylus, nothing happens(new batteries are in)..have to do a 'reset'
    2 then when I reset it by pushing the reset button on back, the thing reverts back to its very first start up like when you buy it and set it up for the first time.
    3. Sometimes on reset, it gets into a loop where it tells you to tap stylus here, then there, then here, then there....only way to stop this loop is to hit reset again and then reconfigure the settings...is this thing toast??? If it is, what do you recommend for a replacement? its 2 years old but I didn't think much went wrong with these things...dont want to spend more than about $200...please help...this thing is like my right hand...I depend on it everday all day..thanks
  2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a casio do the same thing they said to replace the backup battery then i dropped it and cracked the screen lost 2 months of data,ended up getting a jornada on ebay for 60 dollas so far no problems
  3. GarPA

from PA

you mentioned the battery...I wonder if the 2 new batteries might be the problem...maybe one of them is intermiitent or something...I've dropped it a few times but the screen is ok..$60 for a pda sounds good to me...only need the most basic features...does the Journada have the palm operating software?/ thanks
  4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I had one as a gift couple of years ago and really loved, kept sync. every night, had all my customers, contacts, etc. in it, but as I found mysell working more and having less time to sinc, couple of times I forget and everytime I had to replace batteries all the information that I just entered that day or before my last sync. was gone, I hated that so much that I stopped using it.

Couple of says ago I was at best buy and saw the Zaire (i'm not sure about the name) for 79 and the sony clie peg-SJ22 for $149.00 color screen 16meg memory, plus the killer memory stick slot, I don't have to worry about loosing my data anymore, it has rechargable batteries also, all the cables that you need to plug and play, usb port, I just love it.

It came out to about $190.00 with sales tax and 3 years insurance, I already had a 8meg memory stick from a camera I bough couple of years ago.
  5. FosterGroundsMaint

FosterGroundsMaint LawnSite Member

'Buy a Casio BE-300. Mine has never given me any problems
  6. ProMo

hp and casio use win ce it comes with pocket word and excel
  7. GarPA

from PA

hmmm...stopped at circuit city on the way home...started salavating at the new pdas. The Sony Clie was nice and not too pricey at 229. Have not looked at the Casios but from what you guys say maybe I should. Are Casios sold at like Radio Shack or WM or Kmart? Are they a little less money than the SONy/Palms? I need one with a strong lid or case as I carry it in my back pocket all day everyday. I like the idea of having Excel on the Casio's...tell me more guys...I'm all ears...and thanks
  8. discrete1

discrete1 LawnSite Member
    from NC

i just bought the hp 1945 for $250. the o/s is windows, it has what they call pocket word, pocket excel and you can sync it with outlook. i love it, its easy to enter the info and its lightweight

9. ProMo

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi GarPA,

Here is a link to a PDA forum where you might be able to find an answer to your question.