Ever had?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Somebody drop you to get somebody a couple bucks cheaper and a few weeks later they call asking you to come back? I am just wondering how often this happens?

We had a lady we were doing for about 5 years decide she was going to get somebody cheaper. Her lawn is a royal PITA with bed, bushes and trees and only about 8,000 square feet. We were only charging $25. Well anyway 3 weeks later she calls and asks us to start doing it again. We said thats fine but it will now be $30 per cut. We didnt really want her back but she agreed to it and we still have her 3 years later. :hammerhead:
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

id say 50 % of the customers ive lost over price, have eventually come back...usually when i lost them its because they died, moved to a retirement home, or just plan selling the place
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here. We still have the very first customer my father picked up over 24 years ago.
  4. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Happens all the time to me and then when they want me to do it raise them at least $5
  5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I have had this happen only a few times - really only five customers total over the last eight years.
    When the customers called for a return to service the prices they were previously paying increased by a flat 30%.
    Of those five, one balked and the others stayed.
    All of them said the same thing, served them right for screwing up a good service process over a few $.
    The benefit is that all of these people in the $up neighborhood talk to each other and when this story got out my other clients called asking if they were going to see a 30% increase as well.
    Haven't lost a client in this 'hood for the last three years.
  6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I tell them at the moment they ditch me to be absolutely certain about what they are about to do, because I never take a customer back who ditches me. (Well, I have. It's very rare.) Almost always - once they terminate the business relationship, it is over. I don't want to hang on to disloyal customers.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is my mentality as well.

I've learned over the years that once they dump my service for a price, they'll do it again.

Things completely change to get back on board.

Their price now reflects the current charges I'm charging.

I have a tendency to charge a rate for a period of years, ie $60 for the last 6-7 years. Now I'm charging $70. Their rate is going to be the new rate, whatever it is.

Also, the agreement is going to be auto renew, with cancellation fees.

If they're that serious about dumping and coming back, obviously I must be better than the other guy, so auto renew really shouldn't be an issue.