1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ever have a customer tell you this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by the jrminator, Mar 5, 2010.

1. the jrminator

the jrminator LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever have a customer tell you not to use a rider on their lawn in hot dry conditions because it will suck up the grass by the roots out of the soil? and to use a push mower instead because the blades turn slower? I did a couple of years ago. I was using a cub cadet lt1050 ( please no lectures on my stuff) the homeowner came out and told me that by using the tractor the blades turn fast enough to "suck up the grass" and to use the 21" push mower. Last year I told them in their spring letter that i would be charging another $10 if required to push it rather than ride. I lost them , but they were PITA's over all, so i really didn"t care except that I lost a customer. What are your thoughts??

2. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts if there not willing to pay extra would be good riddance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

a commercial toro 21" mower has a blade tip speed of 17000-18000 depending on the model and all the Z's showed 18,500 blade tip speed. you think that 500 makes a difference?

4. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I had one tell me almost that same thing last year. I explained that it would be an extra charge for my extra time and I lost them. They were always trying to get special treatment or extra work out of me and didn't want to pay for it. I had them for 3 years and I found out they fired the guy before me for some crazy reason and I'm sure they will fire the guy that's doing it now before too long. I wouldn't worry about it. You'll pick up a better customer.

5. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

That is crazy.

6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

i just had a cancelation from a customer for this years lawn service because I cut her yard to fast.

7. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i lost a mother and daughter because she said i cut it too fast nothing wrong just cut it too fast

8. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

that is the dumbest thing i ever heard. its probably because the person wanted all the neighbors to see they can afford to have someone service there lawn.

9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

It sounds like the customer is trying to tell you something and you just do not want to hear it....they are telling you they don't like the big mower--although the customer is saying what he thinks is occuring in the lawn, although there is no evidence whatso ever to support their theory--- the customer will not even entertain the truth..

.my advice is to move along...stand your ground with the price difference for using a small mower as it is harder work--much harder work--the message here is steer clear of the red flagged customers--life is too short for you to trear your hair out trying to convince someone you are right and they are wrong--only to have them become a bigger problem later--all for $10more???

10. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

I lost one several years ago becauwe the customer said that I mowed over the trash in their lawn--when I would arrive there were lots of small pieces of fabric in the lawn...more than 40 or 50 scattered around the front lawn--I worked really hard picking it all up for several year--they always were slow payers--2 cuts behind in payment---then the trash got much much worse each time I cut--kinda like it accumilated over two weeks time...

So I decided to cut my costs by not pick up the trash--my thought was--they don't care about the trash in the lawn, so why should I spend time to pick it up first--heck with them--funny to see them upset with me after I made the 40 pieces into 440 pieces--I got my money and the boot--but found a better class of customer--