Ever have a customer that calls you all the time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, I have this customer calling me 2-3 times a week. Its a lady in her late 40's. My first impression was that this would be a picky customer. She acts picky but has no problems with my work. She'll call 1 or 2 days before I cut and talk it up for at least 15 minutes about what parts of the yard are growing and need trimming and whatnot. I explain to her every time that trimming and edging is included in every cut, and there will be no problem. She calls again the day after I cut, saying it looks great and she's happy with it, etc. Then she goes on about the kids next door and about their dog and the kids might throw a toy over the fence and blah blah blah. Just got a call again yesterday from her for a fert app, she wants me to do it, then she wants me to tell her when it should be applied, I say it should've been done a while ago, then she decides she wants to go to kmarts and buy a bag and do it herself, then she changes her mind again on the phone and wants me to do the app. I can't figure out if she just needs a friend or what... she's always at work when I do her yard. I was wondering if you guys ever had a customer call and talk to you all the time like this. Do you drop them or live with it? She's a friendly lady, even pre-pays for her cuts. Maybe if I let her leave a message and then call her back collect she'll get the point?
  2. maybe she wants you.
  3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

That's my first impression.
    Might have to schedule some "additional bush services"
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My thoughts exactly. Some woman have a fetish for the low guy. I had one customers daughter that would come out in a bathing suit every time we cut. If I was cutting the front she would come out front then move around to the back as I was cutting the back. One time I went around back and she was sun bathing topless and the fact I was back there didnt bother her. I just kept working. She also use to try and talk to me all the time but I just smiled and said hi and went on my merry way. She was about my age too at that time around 25ish. God she was hot!
  5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I've had people like this. The calls will not stop. If you have the patience, hike her rate considerably, and consider the time you chat with her productive time. MHO
  6. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

How about this formula:

Customer calls all the time, she has money (assets)

CA= Customer with Assets.

Make sure she stays happy.

SH= She stays happy.

CA + SH = CASH.

Hope this works for you. Don't rile her up.

If she wants her bushes trimmed, do it.
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a couple people in my "frequent caller club". Not so much to complain, it is just questions and little requests usually. If I have your phone number memorized, you are a member of the frequent caller club.
  8. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr LawnSite Member

Had this simalar experience with an older woman. She would talk the ears of a corn cob and still go on. She too pay well, never argued price, always was friendly and even tried to assist where possible. She eventual broke down in tears one afternoon and told me all her troubles, i.e. health, daughter, man troubles, friend troubles, troubles with people in the community, etc....
    I'm a patient person, most of the time. I can be as compasionate as the next guy, but this went over the line. Told her, that I'm not here to be a theapist, social spealist, or an thing else. She got the point.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

she wants you to fertilize her bush-sorry couldnt resist. not a good idea to ,mix biz with pleasure. (subject to how hot she is of course)
  10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If true remember the Fluid Film. Oh nevermind, Dano has a disclaimer about that.

I think we all have customers like that. Keep doing a good job and try to keep her happy.