1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

ever have a customer.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 11, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ever have a customer make a completely off the wall, unbelievable statement? and how would you handle this: got a call for a fall cleanup only. we did it, the guy loved us, asked for spring service (ferts and mowing). i said sure, i did a few things that fall on his yard, to set myself up for spring. spring came, we serviced his property maybe 4-5 times. by the 3rd week, the grass was georgous, thick, lustrous, deep green, really really nice. i mean seriously, it was so nice, i would keep looking back at it as we drove away. the 4th week, he comes out, and follows me around the yard as i'm mowing. he's following me, looking at the grass, and shaking his head (as in dissatisfaction). i stopped like 10 times, "mr. smith, what's wrong?" he would reply, "oh nothing." weird, very strange. the next week, same crap. the first time i stopped, i flat out told him go inside, or i leave. he goes inside. when i'm done, he comes out. he says, "listen, i just wanted to say, the lawn looks like sh!t. i know you just started here, and i'm sure you'll get it, but right now, it's bad." my jaw drops. the lawn was FLAWLESS. i asked what exactly he didn't like. he says i want my lawn to look like that (pointing to a neighbor down the street) who's lawn did in fact look like crap. what do you say?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't say anything...I quickly find a way to get rid of him. Period

3. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

How can he possibly compare his lawn that is thick and green to a lawn that looks like crap I don't get it what else did he say?

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Either the person is a complete whack job or their eyesight is terrible...either way, it's a no-win situation for you.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Give him a pair of 3D glasses and smack him on the back of the head with your shovel.
    Didnt u post this once before a while back? Is he still giving u a hard time or is this a new one

6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

7. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

There are quite a few people out there that are only happy when there miserable or bitching. Walk away he's only looking for a fight.

8. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

spray roundup at random intervals in the yard to get that much sought after "patchy" look.

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL, That should do it

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Sounds like a nut case. I don't do nut case's.

I'd drop him like a bad habit.