1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever Have a Day Like This?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ray & Karen, May 7, 2004.

1. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

My string of luck (not Good) began last night when the local sheriff pulled me over because I had an expired tag on my trailer. I have a current sticker on my bike an my truck but they never sent me one for my trailer, and just never put any thought into it, I assumed it was a permenant plate. The officer clarified that for me, and told me that in Georgia you have to remember trailers on your own. The officer let me go with a warning. I finish up my last couple of lawns and head to the house and as I am backing into the driveway I can't help but smell anti freeze, yep you guessed it, my water pump took a crap. Karen ran to the store and got me a new water pump as I proceeded to burn my hands and fingers in serveal locations (note to self, wait to let water pump to cool before attempting removal). Well I finished the water pump up last night about 2200 but didn't attempt to start my truck because I wanted to let the sealant set up. Well I extremely overslept this morning, got up grabbed some grub, and went out and started my truck, yep you guessed, still leaking. I started scrounging for jugs that I could put water in to keep my radiator full so that I could get my route done. Jumped on the mower and was pulling it out of the garage to load it up, and bam, I hit Karen's favorite flower pot and cracked it (she doesn't know just yet). I get everything loaded and remember I need some oil, so I stop at the store to get one, and this parking lot is a small one, it is tight everywhere. I back along side the building like I have done hundreds of times, only to stop when I hear my right rear tail light being broken. I get my oil (pick up my broken light) and head to my first job. I unload and make a concious decision to take my time, because by this time, I realize I am on a stretch of bad luck. I begin mowing paying very special attention to the lawn and not to turf it up on my turns. I am on the customers driveway lining up for my next pass when I all the sudden hear this horrid sound. Guess what I hit. I'll give you a hint.....It's black and white and red all over. Yep you guessed it. My Toro covered in the morning paper. I spent 25 minutes picking up paper on a 20 minute job, and for those of you who don't think Toro's new deck can dispurse well....I would beg to differ. Things just kind of leveled off from there, and I made it home with all of my fingers and toes. Thank God for miracles!!!!
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Thank God for tommorows,Eh?
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i've had bad. That is terrible.
  4. SCFF

SCFF LawnSite Member

The days over now. Kick back and relax a little. Hopefully tommorrow will be better. Here's to ya:drinkup:
  5. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

Sounds like every other day for me.
  6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hang in there, things can always get worse :eek:
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to my world LOL! :)

Yes, I know how the new Toro reads papers, know what you mean, I got one and often find nespapers in long grasses! Grrrrr.
  8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Mama told me there would be days like this...

Ya know what they say
    "the worst day you could have working for yourself is better than the best day working for someone else".
    I have had some bad days also but not like yours, just keep plugging and it will all pan out.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

That is i quit. Or your fired, but you still have to come to work tomarrow.
  10. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

If I weren't the boss, I definetely would have been fired yesterday. I guess I need to remember that....everyone has bad days.