EVER HAVE A PLOW STOLEN OFF YOUR TRUCK??

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by HandyHaver, Jan 10, 2001.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

NO,I still have mine but I have the new Meyers MDII mounting system and it's so damn simple to get on and off the truck. I have a F250 ext cab with an 8' bed (yeah, not the ideal driveway truck but I'm renovating all year round and plowing 3-4 months part time) and it's hard enough to park within sight of where I'm working. Even if I just take off the blade and leave the lights & pump unit on, I have a hard time leaving my truck for any great lenth of time. I work in the city alot and get real paranoid about leaving it. Am I over reacting or is this something that is quite common. Even if I lock it on, the pump unit can be removed in minutes. Anybody else have these worries or lost a plow off the truck??

Mark

2. crash22201

crash22201 LawnSite Member

You can lock the frame to the truck. I tack weld the
    bolts on all my pumps. It can still get stolen but it
    is a hole lot harder.if you ever have to take it off
    you just cut the bolt a put a new one.
    that's what i do becouse some stuff grows legs around here.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have not had one stolen off my truck but did have someone try to steal my Fisher Minute-Mount from my yard. They had bought a truck that was set up for a plow drove up and tried to take it. Problem was there controller was not working. Luckily police drove by as they were dragging it out. Needless to say the Plows are now kept inside in the off season and when on the trucks they are parked forward facing the building so they cannot be removed. I also weld the pins that hold the pump in place. It does mean I haveto cut them off to replace a pump but better than having it stolen.
    Just some ideas for you.

4. finnegan

finnegan LawnSite Member

you can lock the mount to the truck,andthen get a piece of chain thats just long enough to go from the bottom of the mount into your lift arm, then just toggle pump up to put pressure on chain --nobody will bother it that way...

5. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

That is what insurance is for. I shouldn't say this but I wouldn't mind paying the ded. for a new plow right now.

6. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Another benefit of living here. I don't worry about my plow getting stolen. I started laughing when I saw the thread title, imagining someone pulling the pins and wrestling a plow off the frame when it's sitting on the ground. Then I realized it was a real concern. Reminded me of the time several years ago when I heard about someone going to St Louis and getting their transmission stolen from their car.

Mick

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

When I leave my Minute Mount unattended for an extended period (summer) I run a chain thru the holes in the mount (inboard of the spring-loaded pins) and secure with a padlock. This makes it impossible for someone to drive up and take it away.

To protect your electric outfront pump from theft I removed a cotter pin from the lower pin and replaced it with a long shank padlock.

When you park your truck leave the plow raised, one its harder for someone to steal with 800 lbs suspended in the air, second if you have a problem with the truck its easier to move the truck without the plow dragging.

A friend had the lights stolen from his plow, dont know how to remedy that situation.

8. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I maybe opening my mouth and inserting my foot because I do not own a plow.

Would it be possible to replace the quick release pins with a lock. I know they make Receiver locks. Then they would not be able to remove the whole thing.

9. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

beck, I just went and checked my Minute Mount. It doesn't look like it since they don't go all the way through the receivers. I suppose you could weld a chain on the frame from one side of the pin to the other, then lock it. Leaving it raised seems like it would work unless you had a leaking system or someone put something under the moldboard to brace it. Then it would actually help them steal it by relieving the weight from the pins. Best bet I would think is to leave it parked facing some structure and fully angled.

Mick

10. plow kid

plow kid Banned

i have never thought of my plow getting stolen either, but i have heard of it happening here, a week ago someone stole a 11'x 40" plow off one of the citys tandem axle dumps , i dont have a clue how they did it sence it weighs more then a ton , i am gonna try to get a reciever lock to fit where the plow pins go, letcha know if i can get them to work