1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ever have an employee steal from you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Nov 21, 2007.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i had an employee steal my echo srm 230 trimmer this past week. he didnt return with it after his run and he said that he was having it looked at. he was always and i stress the word was honest with me so i didnt think anything of it. then i didnt hear from him for 2 days. i finally caught him and he admitted that he stole it and pawned it. i told him that he had 24 hours to return it or i'm calling the police. well, he didnt return it today and i called the police on him and i'm pressing charges. anyone else experience theft from an employee? what kind of penalty did they receive? thanks for looking.
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

wow. i guess i'm the only one.
  3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Crazy employees. As I stated in a previous thread yesterday, I thought one of my former employees did steal some of my equipment, but I could never prove it. So, there was not much I could do except file a report. I did ride by their houses several times looking for any sign of my stuff, but never saw any of it.
    You did the right thing by pressing charges. Sorry I can't tell you what kind of penalty to expect, but I would say probably a small fine and/or probation (a slap on the hand) unless he has prior convictions. Let us know the outcome.
  4. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

Nothing will happen. You have to kill someone in this country for somebody to take notice and stop you.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Alright, but it has to do with what I call fair share of mistakes, sooner or later I think we're all guilty of doing something stupid, the reason police don't mess with you most of the time is likely because you watch your P's and Q's and don't exceed fair share.

One example of fair share would be an employee getting sick once in 2-5 years, see any more might exceed fair share, I hope this makes sense. Further it has to do with your own tolerance, and what you consider fair share, to some folks calling in sick once a month seems fair, I couldn't begin to define it exactly but for me it's a low tolerance.

It's like if you have never gotten a speeding ticket and for 10 years your driving record is perfect and one day BLAM you get caught in some nasty mess, it can and does happen.
    What's a judge do first time, we know the answer, and it's because it's not something you usually do!
    It's the first time ever, and hopefully the last, for real, right?
    So you walk, see how that works.

So the question here is has or does this employee exceed the fair share of mistakes for someone trying hard and the answer is if someone were to steal from me they had better have at least a 5 year record of pretty spotless behavior for me to consider forgiveness. Perhaps you trusted him too soon, perhaps not, this I can not determine because he's your employee.

I couldn't tell you if your actions are or were correct, but wrong they're not.
    Theft is one thing, but pawning is bad news, someone that bad off usually has a serious money and other problem(s), further this problem likely stems from drugs or some other illegitimate issue(s). To me the pawn bit is the clincher, like wth...!
    Had this guy been working for me for 5+ years and excelled pretty much the entire time, still I'd consider forgetting about it.

Just my take on things.
  6. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

I don't care if it was my own brother, Press charges, show up for court date and push the punishment. By stealing this trimmer he didn't just take from your company, he took from you, other employees, and most important your family. I don't know about you, but anybody that messes with my shtuff would be lucky if I called the police, more than likely I would beat the crap out him first.
  7. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Man to lose his job for about $40 because i bought a couple of 230 for $120 at pawns before so they only gave him About 40 he must be on drugs to need a little amount so bad keeep your stuff locked on your route he might be scoping your stuff for later fixes
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

We had an employee steal a firearm from us.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have the numbers off that trimmer? Did you buy it rather recently? (The dealer might have it in their records) Contact him (your thief) immediately. Inform him that charges are being pressed. He will NOT want to go through all this. Tell him that if you can find out where your trimmer is (what shop) you may be able to help him. Take the police with your numbers, and get your trimmer back. Then proceed with the charges. Getting your trimmer back merely takes care of the civil action (which you would never gt your money from him otherwise). This does NOT resolve the criminal offense against you. Like I say...pursue it. Don't settle for people telling you. "Well, you got your trimmer back."
  10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

True true...