Ever have one of those days where you feel, like an IDIOT?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WildWest, Oct 22, 2006.

1. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

It's a beautiful day here Phoenix, I have been planning to go out today (sunday) and put some fliers out.
    Now being fairly new to the area, I'm used to sprinklers systems for your lawn.
    Well, as I'm walking, I see this yard (about 3/4 of an acre) FLODDED! About 10" deep, it looked like the fountains at Cesars Palace with a plant filled island in the middle. So i'm thinkin' Holy cow, this can't be right! I walk up to the door and ring the bell.... an older fella answers the door and I say "good morning sir, I don't know if you're aware, but your front yard is flooded..." He looks at me and says "yeah, I know...i'm irrigating it! It's flood irrigation!" :hammerhead:
    I must have turned red as a beet! I felt like the BIGGEST HORSES A$$!
    So, I said..."oh, well....that makes sense. I'm new here, from Florida, just not used to seeing someones lawn flooded!" He says, "well, this is the desert, big difference."
    So with what little composure I had left, I said "well, have a nice day" turned and slithered off! ;)

I have NEVER seen this method of irrigation on a lawn before! Farms, yeah okay! But a lawn?!:confused:
    I told my wife, she busted up! I couldn't even leave a flier with the guy, I sure as hell didn't want him to know my name! :hammerhead:

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

was he growing rice?:waving:

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

You were just being nice. I sure as heck wouldn't have known what he was doing.:dizzy:

4. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Me either, never heard of that. Maybee somenone from arizona can help.

5. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

I think he was pulling your leg.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I am in Tampa and I can tell you for sure that " flood irrigation" is not the norm here. Standing water on Florida grasses will lead to a fungus problem like you have never seen. In fact I don't think it is good for any type of grassdesert or not. Most grass grown in drought areas are meant to thrive on little water. Maybe the old guy was trying to make a cranberry bog?:dizzy: :dizzy: :usflag:

ericg likes this.
  7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

AZ Gardener cleared it up for me! It's the norm her in the older parts of town.
    I've seen it in several places, I just didn't know that they were doing it on purpose. Alot of older houses have the yard graded and burms around the edges of the lawn. The High school up the street floods their football field.
    This whole time I was just thinking that these folks can't handle their sprinkler timers!:rolleyes:

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You did'nt tell me the funny part.

Here is a marketing idea your welcome to. On those boards I told you about, they are 5-6ft tall post with a fiberglass enclosure that opens from the bottom. Inside is the address of the homes and the owners name with zip code and everything for that neighborhood. You can choose the problem yards and send them a personalized flier/letter if you wanted to go that route.

That was too funny "your yard is flooded sir, yea so" :laugh: . By Tuesday it will be firm enough to mow too. Welcome to AZ.

9. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

try this one, in the late 80's we lived in the middle of nowhere abouve Amarillo tx.
    We didn't get to the big city to often, so we were behind the latest trends.
    We go to toys are us and get out of the car, I looked across the parking lot at some shopping carts.
    I tell my wife, look somebody's left a babies car seat on that buggy.
    So I go across the lot to retrieve it and take it inside, that's when I realize it's fastened to the cart!
    I told my wife, we've been in the sticks to long.

10. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

did you live in Sunray by chance

and yea above Amarillo is BFE!!!....but it can still be pretty cool :)