Ever Have This Happen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHAN, Jan 16, 2004.

1. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

Guy in town was demoing a new ZTR mower and somehow it was thrown from the trailer and done a about 3000.00 of damage to it. His insurance told him they couldn't replace or fix it because it didn't belong to him and dealer didn't have it insured while it was off his property. He just bought him a wrecked machine. Just something to keep in mind while demoing. Ask if the dealer has coverage because you may not.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

So did the guy bring it back and tell the dealer its a peice of junk? :D :blush:

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

wow-i always thought that the dealer would cover that. what would ever happen if per chance i threw a belt of ran over somthing while i was demoing....is that repair in my lap?

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If you are demoing a piece of equipment and something beyond your control happens, then that would be on the dealer... If you failed to exercise due caution or beat it to hell, then I would think you would be at fault. Losing a mower from a trailer would fall on the part or the operator I would think.

5. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What a jerk, There is these things called straps, they cost about $3 and keep this from happening.He is lucky it did not hit another car, that would be vary vary bad.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If you are transporting the machine, you are liable. Only way a dealer is resposible would be if he brought it to the site, and stayed with the machine. :cool:

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If he has full coverage on his vehicle that may cover it.

8. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

Here in TN it's the law STRAP everything down no matter how big or small.

9. My commercial policy has a clause for rented/borrowed equipment. It's the same at rental companies. You're liable.

He must have had a lousy policy or none at all.

Dave

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

until I read your post Dave, I was thinking that you guys are missing the boat here.

Any vanilla commercial policy covers equpiment like in this situation....the phrase reads something like " coverage applies while equipment is in your care, custody, or control"...it does not mean you have to own it to have it covered...unless of course he doesn't have insurance....naw that could never happen...everyone has ins in this biz right?