Lawn Care Forum banner

ever have to replace sod?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AAELI 
#1 ·
Has anybody how does sod ever had to tear up turf that had to be replaced. I have got a job that involves do just that. It is next to a walkway that had a little grass growing up thru it so the homeowner had it sprayed with roundup. Well they got so much overspray that it killed the grass for five feet on each side of it. So now I am going to have to remove it and replace with new sod. because I dont need a lot of sod to have to go buy a roll or pallet of it I was thinking that I would just mow a little section out of a field I have and pull up the sod in squares. I have done this before and it works okay. My question is how much would you charge? I am looking for a price by the SF. Thanks..

#2 ·
This is a common procedure. Use a sod cutter and replace. If you aren't versed in sodding, I'm assumming you're not, you may want to sub that kind of work out. I hate replacing crappy sod jobs...like this one!

Plant Road surface Infrastructure Asphalt Land lot

#5 ·
Team-Green L&L said:
This is a common procedure. Use a sod cutter and replace. If you aren't versed in sodding, I'm assumming you're not, you may want to sub that kind of work out. I hate replacing crappy sod jobs...like this one!
what happened to that sod i dont get how people screw up so bad... urs just looks like it wasnt watered ever or ground was ripped up b4 it was liad

#6 ·
JJLandscapes said:
what happened to that sod i dont get how people screw up so bad... urs just looks like it wasnt watered ever or ground was ripped up b4 it was liad
Some idiot with a mower in his truck low-balled one of our bids and this happened. The restaraunt called to estimate fixing it and I bid it a little high out of aggravation. They didn't take that one either. I ate there a couple weeks ago. Some other idiot seeded/strawed but no one ever watered it and OBVIOUSLY it will be a mat of straw til they figure this one out for themselves!

#7 ·
I do have some expience in doing this. I have done the same thing a few years ago when I was working for my former boss we used to maintain a cemetary. So we used to have to dig about 3 or 4 graves a year so I got a lot of expeince with sod doing that. But doing that I was just doing the work so had no idea what was being charged. So what I need to know and nobody is saying so far is what a fair price would be to charge for this is. I was thinking that the best way to charge would be by the square foot. Just would like so idea how much. Thanks.

#8 ·
bluerider said:
I do have some expience in doing this. I have done the same thing a few years ago when I was working for my former boss we used to maintain a cemetary. So we used to have to dig about 3 or 4 graves a year so I got a lot of expeince with sod doing that. But doing that I was just doing the work so had no idea what was being charged. So what I need to know and nobody is saying so far is what a fair price would be to charge for this is. I was thinking that the best way to charge would be by the square foot. Just would like so idea how much. Thanks.
Only you know your costs.

1.) Removal of oversprayed sod charge for labor+materials+disposal fee if any
2.) soil prep for new sod
3.) Sod + installation fee.
4.) Fair and reasonable profit.

We usually charge $3.50 a sq. ft. (zoysia) on a sod job with a min. charge of $100 on the really small jobs. That is only for the sodding not the site prep you have to do before your re-sod job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.