Ever hear of a KEES Walk Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Found a ad in the local news paper today for a 36" KEES walk behind so I went to look at it. It was setting in a barn and had not run for 1.5 years so I said start it after some pulling he got it started ran GREAT 13hp Honda :) all the belts are good transmission works great too. gave him $550.00 loaded it up and left. :D

So what do you think?

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Kees is a decent machines. I owned a few 36" and 48" myself. I bought them because they were (circa 1981) the only one who offered a Honda engine.

I think they were bought out by Yazoo.

Sounds like you did pretty good on your purchase. But, be advised, that 13hp Honda V-shaft isn't one of Honda's better engines. (Still beats a Briggs, though)

3. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a great deal!

Gotta love those things you find sitting in a barn all dirty and abandoned. Did he have any Harley's in there????

Mark

4. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a Kees 48" w/b. It's about 10 years old (bought used) belt driven with a 12 hp Briggs motor. Great machine, but I now use it as a back up. I think I paid $250 for it 4 years ago from a local landscaper. Lots of rust, and the belts needeed replacing, but $10 in sandpaper and paint, and new belts, she looks great!

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Kees is all ive ever owned..

1998 Kees ZTR 52"
    1987 Kees 36" w/b still starts on 2 pulls and cuts great
    1996 Kees hydro 52" w/b retired in the garage..cant keep blade belts on it

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Had 2 of them, still have one that needs repair. Great machine, always had good luck, and seem to be built grreat.

7. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

ChadsLawn,

Do you mulch or bag and how well do they mulch what type of blades do you use.

:blob3:

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my 36 kees walk behind was so smooth ,i had customers
    threatening to quit me when i changed mowers.

9. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, Kee's main designer/owner sold the company after building it up. Then started, built it up, and sold Scag, and now is working on a new company building mowers. Kees are very good units.

10. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

On my 36 w/b I only mow 2 yards a week with it..Its not the greatest mulcher in the world..but the grass it cuts down here (st.aug grass)it mulches it up good.no grass laying around..Ive always use standard high lift blades on all my mowers...Except for my big mower im currently running gator magnums..