Ever hear of this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TPC, Mar 27, 2000.

1. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

I pulled this off a lawncare forum and was quite stumped..have any of you heard of this??????????I friend told me that you can use a mixture of Palmolive and Water - spray on your grass and that would help the water saturate to the roots more deeply? Is this true? If yes - since this is also the consistency of an insecticidal soap, will this kill earthworms? I assume it would kill the gubs - yeah - but... don't want to kill any earthworms or other beneficial bugs. <br>Any comments would be appreciated.<p>
  2. What does the label say?<p>Can you use it on turf and woody plants?<p>Do you have the MDSS on that soap? Some of<br>my customers require a MDSS on any products<br>I use on site.
  3. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

like I said i dont know-never heard of this before-pulled off a different lawn forum,so your guess is as good as mine
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

All soaps are basically surfactants: they help break surface tension of droplets so cleaning works better. Soap on the lawn would work the same way, breaking surface tension of water so it penetrates the soil easier. Probably would not be very long-lived, and is not labelled for turf use.<p>If you need assistance in wetting turf, Primer from Aquatrols is a good soil surfactant; I think residual is 6 weeks.<p>Half of my front yard is hydrophobic. If it dries out water will just run off, won't soak in. This is a sandy soil, too. Tilled a flat area once raked it level, but wasn't ready to plant. Two weeks later after a rain, water was pooled on top of soil, and bone dry under the puddle. If we didn't use Primer here, I couldn't have a lawn. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
  5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

yes I have done this!<br>This is a favorite remedy of the great Jerry Baker, author & TV show host on HGTV.<br>Like Jim said, it breaks suface tension & 'washes' the residue & pollution off your lawn from car exhaust, road salt residue, etc. It also clogs the pores on insects & lawn bugs & kills them.<br>Put CHEAP dishsoap & ammonia in your hose end sprayer bottle & apply on lawn. Soap will wash grass, & ammonia is a quick shot of nitrogen to perk it up. Then apply your fertilizer & you get better results.<br>Jerry baker has a good book called 'Jerry Baker's Lawn Book'-duh. Well worth getting. It has lots of inexpensive, time-tested alternative methods he's tried & verified over the last 30 yrs. I use it all the time.<br>Of course, it's written for the homeowner who wants to save $$, but grass is grass.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Dish washing liquid does make a handy wetting<br>agent.We use it when we spray Roundup and<br>with Krovar (Diuron+Bromacil).Works good.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Southside, does it speed up the process using it before you spray round up?<br>Homer