Ever heard of a vulcher?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone here ever heard of a vulcher discarge chute? I looked closely at some Brickman scags mowing my school and they use them. Anyone know anything about them?

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Bringing this back up because I just saw an ad for them in the new Turf magazine.
    Anyone have any experiene with them? The photo in the ad is very small, I can't even make out what this thing is!

Vandora implied it's a discharge chute in his post. Is it just a plate that covers the discharge chute?

Vandora if you read this, what did this thing look like in person, or what did it look like it does to improve mulching as the ad states?

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My local Exmark dealer has one sitting on his counter. It's basically just a block-off plate with a lip that's about 1" that sticks under the deck. I didn't even bother to ask how much it costs.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

In other words, a mess maker.:rolleyes: So many people think that they can stick a hunk of steel or something over their discharge chute, and have a mulching mower.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Been there, tried that, doesn't work. It windrows way too much! That would work going in circles if you always threw it in, then it would tear up the last round's windrow, but for going back and forth (striping) it ain't worth your bother.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Thanks for clearing that up guys, I just couldn't tell what the thing was.

And you're all definately right, I've tried using just the plate from my mulch kit and it doesn't work unless the grass is dry and fairly short and thin.

Well, thier ad sure makes it sound good anyway!! LOL!

7. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

They cost 180.00$ for a lazer z 60" Brinkman uses them on there scags a flap on the front and back open up to discharge grass . I've seen them work but don't think they will work on wet grass . they will keep grass off the mulch though.

8. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Would this be the same thing as the OCDC on the Dixie?

9. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

Just mounted one on the Scag TT Friday - seems to work pretty good. Right now the grass is pretty thin with the dry conditions - Time will tell once things pick back up. I think it will work real well at keeping clippings out of beds though - even if it doesn't work as a full time mulcher.

It is a little more than a piece of steel over the discharge though. There is an opening in the front that allows some air to escape and a door on the back that lets a few clippings out in front of the rear tire.

Shayne

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Shayne, still out there? Any updates? Do you have the Vulcher, or the newer Vulcher II?

I just looked at their site and see that it is more then just a flat sheet of steel closing off the disharge. It's contoured and has a lip underneath and an opening near the back to discharge out the back instead of out the side. Thier site claims that it circulates the clippings back under the deck to be chopped up.

Anyone else have one besides Shayne?

Just curious.