Ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, Aug 14, 2003.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I was talking to another lco and he told me that when he mows wet or thick grass, he sprays no stick Pam cooking spray on his blades. He told me that it allowed the blades to slide trough the grass better. Anyone else do that?
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Never done it. Not sure I recall hearing about it. Guess it would work.....
  3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i've sprayed on the underside of the decks,but never tryed doing it to the blades....
  4. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

yeah go for it! just be sure to carry bug spray w/ you as they will flock to you like crazy and not to mention take nest under the deck.
  5. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

This guy I talked to today mentioned using pam, said unlike using other sprays or chemicals it wouldnt damage the turf???
  6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It also works great on hedge trimmers. No build up.
  7. I'd think on a mower deck and lawn the amount of oil would be an insignificant amount to cause turf damage.
    Unlike trimming shrubs where your clippers are smearing oil on the fresh cut tips of branches.

Plus turf is tough. Part of it's appeal is it's ability to absorb dirt, cigarette butts and other crud and give back a lawn.

last year I had a hydraulic line burst and spilled 5 gallons on hot hydraulic oil in one spot. I didn't dig out and replace the contaminated soil like I should. But this year you can hardly tell where it happened.
    I'm not recommending dumping oil on the ground or anything. Just saying if turf can take a spill like that, the difference between food based oil and petroleum based oil on a lawn in those minute amounts wouldn't be detectable.

BTW anything applied to the blades would be gone in the first couple of feet of mowing. I was talking about oil etc. on the decks.
  8. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

I started using PAM instead of buying the $8 /can Mo-Deck spray... Works very well. First thing in the morning before leaving shop, spray underside of deck and blades. Drive to first job. It seems to work like: first layer of grass (morning dew) sticks a bit and builds up. Not enough to effect the cut quality though. Then as grass dries out the rest of the day, the first layer is abraded away, so at the end of the day, the deck is almost totally clean like before I started... Just my experience...Exmark Turf Ranger w/ Gator blades...

P.S. I buy the generic brand from Aldi, instead of paying twice the price for the name brand stuff. Buy it by the case.
  9. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

I'l have to try this Pam trick. It is a lot cheaper then Mow-Deck. Its worth a try.