Ever heard of WIRE GRASS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cp, Apr 7, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I need info on wire grass. Tried a search and came up blank.
    Also tried other sites. Maybe using wrong name but this stuff runs across the yard like a basket weave and is pretty tough.. I need to know how to control, kill or live with it..pretty important customer..

Thanks Chris...
  2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi cp,
    I have never heard of wiregrass, must be local lingo. Take a sample into your local Co op Extention office and have them positively ID it for you. Once you have a positive ID I'm fairly ceartain we can find a solution for you.
    Jim L
  3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, wiregrass is what some people call Bermudagrass.
  4. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Greenish black standing upright with lots of nodes?
    Round Up, Tri Mec, Surflan, dish soap will control it. You can not eridacate it, only manage it. Hope this helps.
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Bermuda Grass, Fusilate 2 will control it.
  7. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I thought wiregrass only grew on the coastal plain of the south-east. Wiregrass is not bermuda or bahia grass, but a entirely different critter. It grows up-right, has very slender stem-like blades, in the spring it's not to bad to cut, but when it toughens up in summer it can be rough. My part of the world got it's name from it - Wiregrass Georgia.
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Lee you may be right but in these parts we call Bermuda grass wire grass. Bob was right Fusilade does very well at controlling it. Just make sure not to mix it too strong or your fescue is toast as well.
  9. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Barkleymut, if ya'll call bermuda "wiregrass" because ya'll think it's tough, you oughta try drought-stressed bahia or what we call "wiregrass" which is even worse than bahia. Bermuda is pretty wimpy in comparision. If we sprayed and killed bermuda grass down here, we'd be outa work; because that's our predominant lawn grass.
  10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd hate to have that Bahia up here. Bermuda is like a weed and it spreads into mulch beds so easily. It lives through just about the dryest summer without water and 90-100 degrees for weeks with very little slowdown. It is the predominant weed around here. I love the stuff if you get a good variety it can make for a very nice lawn but like I said most folks here call it a weed.