1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever Installed LED System and Customer Rejected It?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by JimLewis, Feb 22, 2011.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever sold the client on an LED system - installed it - and had them say they didn't really like the look of it and wanted you to remove it and install regular incandescent / halogen lighting instead? That ever happened to anyone?
  2. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Now that the conference has passed, I can post this so, here it is. There is a mix of LED and Halogen in this photo, can anyone tell me what is what?

Note that not only is there LED and halogen mixed, there is also a mix of Kichler integrated LED fixtures and LED retrofit lamps in FX bullets.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Not only has this never happened to me, I have never heard of it happening to anyone else.

Are you just asking the question Jim, or has this happened with one of your clients?

By understanding the critical factors of LED light, and by choosing your fixtures / lamps carefully this should not be a scenario that you run into. My clients can not tell the difference between the LED lamp and the halogen / xenon lamps. That being said, I am hyper-sensitive to colour temperature variations in any given system and make sure that everything installed on any given job falls within a couple of hundred degrees CCT variation max.

One of the reasons that I am not too fond of integrated LED fixtures is the apparent wide colour temperature variations that exist between different manufacturers. One manufacturers warm white can easily be 300 to 500 degrees K. different from another manufacturers version of warm white. And to suggest that you can find every type of fixture you need, for every application from one LED fixture manufacturer is simply not the case. Some make better bullets than paths, others make better niche type fixtures than bullets, and none seem to make a proper tree mounted downlight LED fixture that can be procured at a reasonable cost.

Hence my focus and reliance upon LED lamps. With LED lamps, I can choose all the quality fixtures that I know, love and understand the performance of, and simply install quality LED lamps inside.
  4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

It is a great photo and a nice lighting design, no doubt of that. I cannot tell you exactly what lamp or fixture you have used where (and doubt anyone could accurately do so) however I can see variances in optical/beam performance and variations in colour temperature in that view. Specificically on the left side of the image, grazing the house. I find it a bit distracting to be honest, but I am super picky about colour temperatures. I am sure the client's are thrilled with it.
  5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I know you realize that the color difference you see, especially on the left side of the house, is from what's being lit, not what's lighting it. Light stucco is obviously going to show a different color than dark green foliage, just as concrete is going to show a different color than light stucco. I could move fixtures around there to change the light sources and it would look the same.
  6. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

The real test will be to compare this photo with a photo with the same view in a few years. I guarantee the halogens will look the same - as for the LED's, all we can do is trust then verify.
  7. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

It's a nice job.... I personally wouldn't get caught up with any negative comments. Are the clients happy? Are you happy with it? Pictures don't really show the true image anyway, so I really don't want to comment on the pic itself. If you feel good about it, and the client is satisfied, I'd start talking to the neighbors about it.
  8. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow look who came out of the brush pile.... Nice pic.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

Soooo, the rumors are true, you are still alive
  10. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

By the way, I should have mentioned that the lighting is beautiful. It's great that you're getting recognition for your exceptional work!