Ever limit your services to a customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RYAN, Mar 23, 2001.

1. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I will do this if I have a anal customer who likes to wine a lot. If they are a regular mow customer and they ask for fertilizing or bush trimming or whatever I will tell them I don't do these things even though I do. I find it easier to just to lie to these people since I know how picky they are about mowing I try to limit my services to them as much as possible since I know they will find something to complain about no matter what. Anyone else ever do that?
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would prefer to just mow, but that never seems to happen. Someone always wants you to do more. On my commericals I expect to do it all because they like to deal with just one person for everything if possible. Residentials I never offer more than mowing. If they ask for more I usually say yes, depending on what it is and what kind of customer they are and if it's something I can do.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Ryan, why do you wish to be in an adversarial relationship with a customer like that? Is there some satisfaction derived from this approach? Move on to other customers.

Lying to a customer??? Is there more satisfaction gained from this behavior?

You must be intending to be in the business for a limited time period. Integrity and honest are in short supply. Your approach to running the business speaks to the customer base (just not your particular customer) about the industry, which is unfair to those choosing to conduct themselves otherwise.
  4. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

I know alot of guys that just sub out the stuff that they rather not mess with. Maybe you just need to find someone that will tie up these loose ends for you and can still be able to make a buck or two in the process. On the other hand don't cut off your nose to spite your face. I have one employee that can gross more by lunchtime applying fertilizer than you or I could by cutting all day. Never turn down a chance to make money. I sure would hate to lose an account just because they didn't whine enough at me to do something besides mow.
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

well, ryan personly money is money to me doesn't matter who it comes from, most of my customers are very picky too, if i'm not fully shaved sometimes they grab at my goat.but they love the work i do in the yard,so i do the work. and i get paid, i don't know about you but right now no girlfriend or wife so i can work all day if i want, i really don't mind with the money i make.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Ryan,your punishing yourself-what for?if their money is green-which it is,or you wouldnt mow for them-you just shot yourself in the foot by turning down the work-bid it for a good profit-if they dont want it then-OK,but to deny you do it-
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Ryan, I had one so bad Id avoid him much as I could
    Iknow my self and I knew it wouldnt do for me to be around him much.Its still hard to tell somebody you just dont want to work forum though.Almost snobby or something.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ryan, i had a customer for the last 4 years, nice property, i did nice job, still shes on the phone 5 times a week complaining about nothing, seemed she just liked me to call her back cus when i did, the problem was solved. so, this is what i did: i told her to get somebody else cus u r a pain in my neck! u call my number constantly over nothing, and sometimes at 5 am. this is the same service my other customers get, and they r all happy. well, 3 days later she called back and said sorry and asked if i will continue service, i said ok, as long as the harassment stops, cus if i have to take time to answer complaints to problems that dont exsist, i will charge accordingly. that was last july, and she has renewed with me this season. some people r imposible to please, u r not a slave and dont take the crap. BOB
  9. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

There is no way that I would deal with a client that I felt I had to lie to. If they are such a P.I.T.A., just say bye-bye and replace them.
  10. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

I believe that stone hit the head on the nail when he said that if a customer cannot pay for our services up front that we are heading for headaches. If they cannot pay your price whatever that price may be you are wasting productive time and should move on to customers who will pay the price for a full service LCO.