1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever miss your old job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutnedge, Nov 6, 2004.

1. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

I was just thinking today....Does anyone here kind of miss their old jobs/careers in a way? I worked at UPS for about 8yrs. as a loader(part-time.)It was pretty much a stress-free job: no rainouts, no weekends, 401-K, full benefits, no PITA(except for management) no overhead spending,etc.
    I was about 1 to 2 years away before becoming a full-time driver(more money) but for one reason or another, I quit, and jumped into the lawncare/landscape biz full-time. Now, don't get me wrong. I've been doing yards ever since Mom used to drop me off after school in a van with
    two 2x12's, an old Ariens rider, and electric clippers used for trimming(no weedeaters I knew of at the time. Early 70's?) Oh,and a swing-blade for the yards that had deep ditches. So I knew what I was getting myself into. Lawncare is a part of my make-up. I love it!

Anyhow, I know alot of the advice that is given here tells those that are torn between their current job/career and getting into this biz to go for it all the way and never look back. Some days, though, I can't help but to look back and wonder if the positives of this biz(own boss,good pay,flexible hrs.) outweighs the positives(benefits,retirement package,job security) that were offered at my other job. Any other LCO's ever feel this way?
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

No. I hate working for other people and being told what to do. As well as leaving my future and well being up to the hiring/firing whims of another. I like what I do, and I like depending on myself for a living.
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'm right there with ya MTDMAN.
    I worked for UPS for 6 years and had 2 jobs with them on a split shift. Worked as a sorter in the early a.m. and as a Air Pick-UP driver in the evenings. I was only 1 to 2 months away from going into full time driving when I walked off the job. Just got so sick of their BS and realized that if I went into full time driving I would be stuck in a crapy job I hated. I also realized that I would be trapped because I wouldn't be able to afford to leave a $20+/hr job with all the insurance benifits and 401K. I'm a heck of a lot happier now, and when I look back I realize it was the right decission.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have never regretted it. I did a lot of outside work being a carpenter. The summers were always hot with no shade and the winters froze my do-dads off. Now if I get hot in the summer I can always find some shade or go sit in the truck with the AC on. If it's too cold I just stay at home (during the fall/early winter) and I don't even go outside during the peak of winter. My bosses would never go for that before. It also helps that I'm making over twice as much money in half of the time.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Three words: NO, HELL NO! God forbid I would EVER have to go back to working for "the man" again.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I was the Director of Training for Hertz Equipment Rental Corp. for like 13 years. Traveled like 40 some weeks (200K miles or more) of the year in the US and Europe. It got to the point where the skycaps (guys who take your luggage) at Newark Airport here in NJ knew me by first name (and vice versa). :dizzy:

I don't really miss the job other than I do miss some of the people I worked with. When I left in the summer of 94', I had 27 employees that reported to me. That part I REALLY don't miss.
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I worked for GM for 32 years before retiring. Assemby-line work is hell and very physically demanding. I have a lot of injuries to hand and knee joints that will be with me for the rest of my life. Thank God I can still do yard work without a lot of pain. I don't miss the job at all, but I do miss all the people that I worked with for many years.
  8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

It may be that it's not the job you miss but the people you would see and talk to every day. When you start your own business, friends some times slip away unnoticed. We are very busy and spend a lot of our time building a business that our friends just don't care about. Make time for your friend and family. Take a day off from time to time and do something some one else wants to do. I used to feel guilty every time, now, I look forward to it. Life goes really fast, enjoy the ride.
  9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Referee for female oil wrestler's,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sometimes :rolleyes:
  10. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

The ONLY thing I miss about working for someone else is that the healthe insurance was cheaper."alot cheaper"