ever moving property lines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jul 26, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How many of you cut grass next to Mr. Lazy who cuts his grass about a foot from the property line or if there are trees even further. That goes for some LCO's also. It's kind of funny how much trouble some will go thru to save a minute or to keep from trimming to the property line. To be honest there are some pretty good folks around here and more often than not they will come and extra swipe just to be neighborly.

Then there are the guys that blow it all on your job site. We have had some shootings in the state over mowing the property line (fatal). :confused:
  2. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

I find myself doing that at times to make the property look better, makes me mad sometime because it will mess up the stripes. I have people that blow the first row of there grass into a lawn I do. Just makes me made when they scalp it when i'm mowing at 3.5 inches, and it looks like they were drunk while mowing, makes both yards look bad.
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I had one that had crept over several feet. Didn't even realize it till their sprinklers were on one day and the heads appeared to be well into MY customer's yard. :laugh:

So I mowed behind the heads where I was supposed to and left a big ole strip of uncut grass for them to enjoy...
  4. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Glad i'm not the only one. I love it when they leave like 8' and EXPECT the neighbors " lawn guy" to take care of it.
  5. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Put your bagger on . Bag their debris up to make your lawn look good and know your client appreciates your efforts when you note it on their invoice . It stopped the next week after I told my client we collected the neighbor's waste . Always be a diplomat . Don't tattle on people ; just make your client aware of the situation .
  6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

People usually fix it real quick. One of our accounts has a ditch near the property line. The neighbor is one of these guys that paints the curb and has markers. Well my side of the line is about 1/2 a pass in the ditch. The rest ( 10 minutes of weed eating) is on the other side. Well the other guys were going up to the ditch and cutting it real straight to look like the line, but we cut right up to the markers and not an inch over. Well after a few weeks that got real tall and the other company started cutting it. It gets cut every week now, not my problem. I never cut over and its cause then you are always expected to do it. If you miss your side thats your problem. Now the neighbor that circles on my properties cause hes too lazy to go in reverse. Well thats another story.
  7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I had two situations like these in the past month.

1 the customer had the local nursery expand a bed that was in the back corner of the property. They cut out the grass and planted about 10-12 new bushes. I came in the next week (note, one whole week has passed) with new mulch for the bed. I get a call about 4 or 5 days later from my customer saying they got into a big fight with their neighbor about the bed being on neighbors property. I get there to mow it and the neighbor has some rope and extent ion cords tied to the back property pin and running all the way to the road. The new bed was extended about 1 ft into neighbors yard. Neighbor made my customers move some bushes and the mulch. Then plant some new grass. WTF 1 ft.

2 Surveyors came by another customers property and put in new boundary pins. I guess I've been mowing about 10 ft over too far. So this week I skipped that area and I'm waiting to see if someone says something. The underground electrical, cable, and phone boxes are in this area. Lets see if someone trims around them now.
  8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I forgot I have 2 clients that are next door to each other. Both have fenced pools. Line is in the middle, we all know this. The one guy will tell you which fence it is along depending on the service. For example he gets cut longer so when you cut it is the neighbors fence. When you are cleaning up leaves and charging then the line is his fence. If he wasnt a good payer than I would have dropped him last year.
  9. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Property I cut has home next door for sale. Asking one million. Property line is on a diagonal line from the road. Last time I cut my account...... the neighbors property line is being cut about twenty feet onto my accounts lot. It started out gaining about three feet per cut. My account thinks it's kinda funny and is waiting to see how much further it may go.
  10. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

At least your client isn't asking you for a discount since your not cutting as much:rolleyes: