Ever notice that turf that gets no chemicals is often less stressed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Aug 25, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I posted this here 'cause its not really a chem/fert ?...rather just a curious question of those who stare down at the grass all day...Ever notice the commercial properties that get no chemicals how they withstand the heat better than our green, and drug addicted 'showcase lawns'. Look at softball fields or common areas in parks and commercial/industrial sites....thicker, less stressed...a few weeds but not bad....hmmmmm...I also do chemicals so I'm not putting them down....not feeding the grass blades I suppose gets the roots more healthy and deeper....anyway....just a goofy post.... I know on my own property I have cut way back on N but use more P and my yard has never looked better

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Not being a smart ***** but I really have not noticed this.

I have a program that I follow for my lawn as well as my customers. With all the proper pieces in place a lawn can look great with a little help.
    There are lots of pieces to place and some you can't change (weather/heat).
    I find that the lawns are a work in progress. Most lawns will look great in the spring and late fall because of rainfall and cooler temps but if you have poor soil conditions, stressed turf, diseased turf/soil, low fertility levels, on and on, you will have a marginal to poor lawn when times of dormancy come in July/August.
    I am not an advocate of N bombing a lawn or blanket spraying a whole lawn that has a 10% weed problem.
    With proper aeration/fertilization/weed control/and water - most - lawns can look beyond good. Thats what people pay for.

N can be a problem if applied in wrong amounts or in the wrong form and at the wrong time. I see TG/BurnLawn urea bombing commercial lawns in July when its 95 and there has been no rain. You can see every swipe of his hose in the cooked brown stuff that was turf. They apply because its "time" to apply. I can exhaust myself getting new business because of this after I explain to the customer. It comes down to getting a good feel for what you are doing. WHen in doubt - get a soil test.

3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me that good soil conditions have more to do with how grass grows than chemical applications. Top dressing over time will improve the soil for the long term (at least that's how it works in my garden). Minor adjustments can be made with chemicals but, there's nothing like the way mother nature does it. Very good topic.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i agree very good subject..
    if possible get the soil and enviroment conditions as rite as u can.
    then as in our taking of medication ,do just enough exstra to bring the desired results. here again is an area of expertise,that your kid with daddies mower cant get close to a pro. ive always believed good lco s sell their selves short
    as to how much more they know than the average homeowner.been their ,done that.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Not the case...here. All ball fields or business that are not controlled are mostly all crabgrass right now and a royal PITA to mow.

6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Interesting subject. Chemicals could play a part, but I think irrigation could be a bigger part. I have 2 residentials that get exactly the same grass, get same treatments and are cut the same height. Both look good, but one looks really good. The only difference is the really good one get watered once more weekly than the other. Just another angle to look at it.

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Alot of ' chemically unmaintained' sites are mainly weeds, clover, crabgrass, therefore are able to withstand less than desireable conditions. Have you ever seen a root on a dandelion????