Ever quit a job w/o one lined up??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jdmtnbikr, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

Im talking a regular 40+hr a week job working for someone else. I work for a interior plantscaping company that I have been with for 3+ years and am really really sick of it. Management has gone to ****, people are leaving left and right, no room for growth etc etc. I have looked for other jobs and have gone on a few interviews the last few weeks that went "ok".
    Aside from that I am *trying* to get my own side landscaping/interior plantscaping business off the ground, not much luck at all (1 client) so far. Then again I havent put a TON of effort into it thus far.

Question is, anyone just up and leave a job in the past without one lined up? What happened? Mistake? (obviously it kind of is in a way, but maybe it will light some motivational fire??) Im thinking the feeling would be SOO good just to quit, but not sure what would happen when that feeling goes away :)

Thoughts?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

grass is always greener on the other side...

sorry I couldn't resist...:waving:

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quitting a job without having another one lined up is just downright stupid. You have to work right? Why stick yourself in a situation where you might struggle finding work for a few months. Have a job before you quit.

With that said, yep, I was a stupid one that quit a long term job without knowing what I was going to do. I walked right upstairs into the boss's office, he was actually taking a nap in his recliner, when I barged in. Wow, thinking back on it, I can't believe I said the things I did, and yes it felt really good. But later I realized it was just plain dumb to burn that bridge like that.
    Don't quit in a haste, take care of yourself first and find the employment you need before you tell 'em to shove it.

4. Jdmtnbikr

Trust me, anything would be greener. The grass on this side is not only brown, but it hasnt been watered in 2 years :) The only sweet thing about the job is I usually work 6-1030am, and get paid the full 8 hours. So that does leave me time to look for other work. Just really really sick of it there, but I guess I should just stick it out :cry:

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

How do you manage that? Ide stick it out, you work half a day and get paid for a full day, or am i not understanding it right

6. Jdmtnbikr

I work an independant route in the field, once my route is done, I am done. I can't see how they think it's 8 hours worth of work :) Again, I love that part of it. I just feel in a total rut there, part of that is my own fault though I realize.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Acually by doing just that..I started in this biz.

8. Jdmtnbikr

Yea, seems you are the exception. That scenario is what keeps playing in my head. Quit the job, magically everything comes together. That would be sweet.

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I did that last year, then I was looking for another job for a LONG time, didnt decide to get into this on my own till a few months ago, and now its starting to pay off.

10. Necroshine

Necroshine LawnSite Member

I did. I spent 4 years with Home Depot in Vegas, moved to Florida and transferred to a really crappy store. Spent two days there before I walked out. I got a job as a Merchandiser for Scotts the week, so I lucked out.