ever rolled your lazer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by the scaper, Jul 18, 2003.

1. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i have'nt, but i've always been curious how i would fair if i did. i came real close to fipping it over backwards whilst mowing straight up a slope the other day, actually i was backing back down the slope and looking behind me, i thought suddenly things were looking quite a bit steeper when i turned around and saw my front wheeles about a foot and a half off the ground. i try not to do that often :D . it seems like it would be kind of difficult to get out from behind the joy stix and off the mower in such a short amount of time as a roll over would give you. any experiences? or am i just the black sheep? :D

2. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

No , but 71 year old flipped a toro z last week , on top of him still running , oil ran into breather and stopped motor . Broken collar bone ,my wife saw mower in ditch . Ditch was not bad at all , he later bragged he's flipped 3 mowers in his lifetime !

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

No, but I almost rolled my Walker today.

The Walker is such a "billy goat" it gives you to much confidence and I got it in a real hairy position today. Scared me, but it held it's footing and pulled me right out.

Whew!

4. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i think if i flipped mine and lived to tell about it i'd be grinning and bragging about it too! :D

5. A former employee of mine rolled a Dixie Chopper on top of himself.

They said they could find him and didn't hear the mower till they heard someone screaming for help.

Did no damage to himself, but bent one of the steering levers and top corner of the seat.

They rolled it off of him let it sit for a few min and tried to start it, sure enough it did, but blew smoke for a while.

Rolling a mower gently shouldn't hurt it much, but dropping one off a retaingwall can do some damage.

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

there was a guy a few years back around here that flipped one over backwards. Broke his neck, back, and a arm. Not sure how it all turned out but I would say he would be lucky if he is walking at all.
    Be careful.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have never rolled one and I try to be extremely careful not to. All of the steep hills here end in a retaining wall with water of varying depth (tides). If you roll one here you'd better hope you land right side up because if you're pinned under it...

If anyone is interested Dixie Chopper sells a rollover switch that will turn the engine off if it gets upside down. It can be mounted anywhere on the mower. Dixie Chopper part number is:

40229-Z

If you don't have a Dixie dealer nearby just email Paul Burkheimer at burkheimer@hotmail.com and he will send you one.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark has been using these for years. Bounce hard enough on a real STEEP hill and you'll get it to engage!

9. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

tls
    i have a 2003 exmark lazor hp.is the kill switch standard?

didnt i see a link in here recently to a story of a guy who was killed this summer on his ztr?

rolling this thing has always worried me.

10. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I mow a pretty steep ditch but its only like 10' high but when i make my first pass up it i pull the right front of my Gravely 260Z about a 1 1/2 off the ground. It didn't bother me at all cuz i really didn't think you could roll one backwards but i guess you can now.