Ever say See ya, Bye!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you ever get to a property, and drop the customer while you were there, before you ever started working? Happened to me last week.

I have this ignorant old lady who has been on my @$$ since last year. Funny thing is her lawn is perfect, and we keep it perfect. She is such a b@#$h that we have no choice but to keep it perfect. Everytime we pull up she screams at us from her porch. Finally she did it one to many times.

She cam out last week and said "You guys did a horrible job last week." I replied, "Mam we are doing a great Job!". "Oh no your not." "Ahh, yes we are!". Finally she said , "well I want the lawn cut a different direction this week, becasue Im not satisfied." I said" well we are not going to cut it any direction, because you can consider your service terminated."

Felt good to do. The woman changed her tone real quick trying to get us to mow the lawn. But this had gone on far to long, almost two years. I have a lot of bad apples that need thrown out. Im tired of the nonsence problem customers that I put up with. From this point no more Mr Niceguy. We do our job, you pay our bill. You want to screw with me, see ya, bye.

2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't blame ya, your trying to make a living, you don't really need such a hassel in doing so, you have enough problems.

Jeff

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Dang, where do you find such PITA customers? This is the second thread I've read tonight about you and some customer I would never work with.

You gotta start weeding these kinds of people out quicker.

I understand the dilema. You want to keep every client because they equate to dollars. But what you don't realize is that by keeping the bad ones, you're not leaving room in your schedule for the good ones. You become so busy mowing for all your existing clients (good and bad) that you evnentually don't have as much time to go give estimates quickly anymore and start losing some bids.

Don't get caught in that trap! Never work for the bad ones. Drop them quick! As soon as you see someone is a real PITA, is broke, etc. you need to quit wasting your time on that person and save that hour of the week to go find another, better customer.

If you've been in this business for over 2-3 years, there's no reason you should be working for PITA customers or people who are broke.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

That's the best part of working for yourself- you can tell the PITAs to take a hike anytime you want. Myself, I'm actively weeding out the less than desirable clients, and replacing them with (hopefully) better ones.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I had a woman that would argue every single thing on her bill. Even when it was just four mowings. She would argue the date, tell me we didn't do this, want this amount off, etc. Finally one day she came out with the bill in hand when we showed up. Starts complaining about something. I just told her forget it, we're done. She started wailing like a banshee. Nooooo! Nooooo! You can't quit. I told her to keep her money, it was worth it to get rid of a bad customer. Then we took off. Best thing I ever did!

:D

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, I have done it before in the past

7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

You hit the nail on the head. I think I am finally realizing, what you said in your post, after 12 years of this. See I have always been stuck with chronic nice guy syndrome. I try to take time to get to know the customer. I always handle complaints quickly and efficiently, even if sometimes they are not valid. I am sometimes to lenient with my payment terms. Some customers really appreciate the way I handle things, and dont abuse my generosity. But there are those who take my niceness as a sign of weakness and try to railroad me as much as possible.

No more, like I said before it is time that I throw out some bad apples. I have already replaced the two lawns I lost, and so far the new customers are thrilled with the service and give me no grief at all.

8. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

well i wish i could say i have done this... i would love to the exact same thing to couple customer's that have nothing else better to do than sit there and complain bout nonsense bull Sh@@.... the stuff we get to put up with :) fun fun

9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to do that, now I've gotten a little smarter, I tell them "Miss or Sir, I'll wait here while you go get your final payment, thank you. " They usually just stare at me for a few seconds then they either go get my payment or start apologizing profusely....Funny stuff to watch....:p

10. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I myself did it last week, I mow for this Doctor, for about 1/2 what I should be getting. She has been on my butt all summer, finally I tried to impress upon her that I was doing a good job for 1/2 the money, and she agreed. The very next thing out of her mouth was a gripe, so I said FIND SOMEBODY ELSE....she was shocked.....don't you just love rich spoiled people....I am not putting up with their crap. there's alot of other grass out there need mowing.