Ever see a scam like this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by STAN1366, Jan 26, 2003.

1. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I placed an add to sell a mower on another web site and got this reply. It's word for word. The guy sure can't speak or write English. Can't believe anyone would fall for this.

Subj: Wheelhorse
    Date: 1/25/2003 10:59:42 AM Eastern Standard Time
    To: [email]********
    Sent from the Internet (Details)

Good day,

My name is **** **** i am an auto agent and i will like to buying your Wheelhorse because i visited your website only to find out that the Wheelhorse price was $1,300.00, i will like to know it present condition.before that i contacted my client who told me that,that is the kind of Wheelhorse he want to buy that there is no problem with the price.i know that the Wheelhorse is sold for $1,300.00 and of which i told my client that the Wheelhorse was $6,000.00 he has agreed to buy the Wheelhorse .so you should be expecting a cashier $6,000.00. while you please try and wire me $3,700.00 via western union or money gramm as soon as you get the cheque to the shipper and keep $1,000 for your self as terms of agreement between the both of us.i hope i can count on you for the balance. my the shipper will come to pick the Wheelhorse without giving you any stress.my client is my much intrested in buying the Wheelhorse . so send your mailling address in this format where the cheque will be sent to.

name.................

full address..............

city.......................

state........................

country............................

zipcode.........................

telephone.....................

cell phone.....................

regards,

[b]I edited out the name and e-mail addy.[/b]

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

And i though some of the spelling, grammer, and typos on here were bad (including me). WOW:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:That guy needs to go back to school.
    How did you respond??

3. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

I read that there are many scams dealing with "Cashier's Checks." The are not as reliable as some people believe them to be. They can be faked.

If it were legit why wouldn't he just cash the check and then send you the $1300? Glad you didn't fall for it.

4. STAN1366

I didn't reply. I did send an e-mail to the web site I placed the add on asking if they had gotten any other people getting the same response to their add.

5. STAN1366

If the grammar was OK and the $ amount wasn't so much more than my asking price, then I might have been taken in by it. Really would like to find out who this character is.

6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

This criminal is operating in a different country. Probably like Russia, Ukraine, or maybe in an African country or someplace backwards like that. Nigeria is big for internet scam letters.

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Justalawnguy is right. Most of these scams are run from foreign countries, and the people doing them are not fluent in English. Pretty funny stuff, but I did see on the news that some people actually fall for these types of scams. So they will always be around.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Eyed bea suspishus of no goood gramr from unnown peoples.:nono:

9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

I get this crap in my bulk e-mail alot,it's a riot to read,i am usually hand picked buy someones contact in the states,it's also always legit but kind of our little secret,someone wealthy has always just been murdered in some big political uprising,the money in the bank cannot be withdrawn by the relatives(enter me!)All i have to do is give them my SS#,and bank account info and they will deposit all this money in my account if i agree to split it with them,pretty cool aye!The sad part is people really do fall for this crap and it's 100% legal,even if it wasn't you or the law are never going to find these people with your money.

10. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Thats just a new twist on the old "insert third world country name here" bank scam.... it usually goes something like this...

Hello friend, I am xxxx from yyyy country. Shortly before the government was overthrown (or some other excuse) I was able to secret $$$$$$$ amount of money and need a way to transfer it out of the country. I was told that I could TRUST you and am contacting you based on a recommendation from a friend. (yada yada, gain trust, build confidence, etc). All I need from you is to send me your account information so that I can wire the money to you while I flee the country etc.... For you help you will received half of the $$$$$$ (large amount of money).....

There are many different versions of this but they all share some common traits.
    1. They ask you to wire money or provide your account and personal information.
    2. They act like you have a common friend or some other common bond.
    3. They try to make it sound like they are "trusting" you and hoping that you will return this offer of trust.
    4. THEY ALL WILL CON YOU OUT OF YOUR MONEY!
    5. They are generally out of the country so it is difficult to catch and prosecute them.

For more information go to the Federal Trade Commision website and read about this and other online scams.

www.ftc.gov/bcp/menu-internet.htm

You can also forward them a copy of the E-mail to review.