Ever seen blades like these?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All Seasons Landscaping, Apr 23, 2009.

1. All Seasons Landscaping

All Seasons Landscaping LawnSite Member

So, I just picked up a new (used) mower. I went to pull the blades, and they had these metal discs on them. I've never seen anything like it on a mower, and I'm not really sure what they're there for. They come right off, aren't part of the blade itself. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say that "plate" is upside down! Otherwise, I imagine it would leave a big fat line up the middle of a pass! Unless the blades step down.
    Im interested in seeing what others say!

3. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like those disk maybe mulcher pieces. Toro has those on their 21's, but they are rectangular. I think those disk go on first then the blade, I'm not too sure, but I think it is for mulching purposes because those are regular blades.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It's an old style mulch set-up. The disk goes between the spindle and the blade. It's a dangerous set-up and you have to check the bolt torque daily to make sure it's tight. If I remember right it was an after market thing. Basically a gimmick for homeowners. The big mower manufacturers didn't endorse the system (for obvious reasons) so it died pretty quickly.

5. All Seasons Landscaping

All Seasons Landscaping LawnSite Member

Figured it was something along those lines. Thanks for the info guys! And yeah, they'll be coming off when I put my new blades on, haha.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I knew there was a reason I didn't like the looks of them ... check the blades daily ... WOW !!