Ever seen or used one of these?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jul 12, 2010.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Seen them for years, never used one. Bread balls are cheaper! Except under pressure.

3. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

I know plumbers that swear by them. They love them as long as they don't have to mess around with a lot of soldering. Then they get a little tense - hoping that it'll hold until the job is done.

It is neat, but I'm not sure how often I'd use it though. My King Siphon hand pump is always by my side.

Mick

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Bread stuffed in there really does work!!!!

If you need to stop a slow leak while you solvent weld the pipe or solder, stuff it full of bread.

Once you turn the water back on, it dissolves.

Now keeping bread on the truck when you need it, is another problem....

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Bread guy here too.

6. WalkGood

For those that do not know....

In a lot of old houses here, the water shutoff hasn't been touched in years or decades even. They do not shut off the water completely, so the bread ball trick keeps the drips from interfering with sweating fittings.

7. The cheaper the bread the better it works.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Some of you guys don't have shut offs in the basements or crawlspaces. I could see this working well for taking out an old gate valve from an older home where you can't get the whole house shut off to close down. Instead of trying to jack around with a 60 year old curb stop valve that maybe nobody can find, this may do the trick. But I would be scared to try it and have it fail and then not be able to close off the water supply.

9. WalkGood

Ever try it DanaMac?

10. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Ive had a couple jobs recently that I have been thinking about using bread on. Have yall ever had problems with it jamming in a valve after pressure up or anything?

It just doesnt feel natural to shove anything in the line.