Ever sued a lawyer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

Last spring i had to go head to head with a lawyer in court for not paying a $120 lawn bill for last 2 mowings of year. he played matlock for an hour in half in front of several pizzed off people. judge laughed at him and awarded me the judgement + court fees. lawyer had a counterclaim for 'loss of time' for $2000. judge again laughed and threw that out. lawyer went storming out of courtroom yelling afterwards.

now lawyer has appealed and keeps sending me all these stooopid requests for facts forms wanting me to admit to his side of the story. his excuse for not paying (believe it or not) is because we drove the walkers down his long driveway with blowers on decks to blow grass off afterwards. also wants proof we were there.

your honor my proof that we were there... i admit that we drove mowers down driveway with blowers on decks just as defendant admitted to witnessing! :dizzy:

is it time to break out the shovel? :confused:

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

its called discovery and you are to present all the evidence that you have to back up your claim. You must have been in small claims and he appeal to common pleas court. Now the fun begins because you will have to hire an attorney to figure out how to get out from under the mountain of paper work he will bury you with. And if he looses again he will appeal for only cost your brief to his appeal will need to be written by an attorney siteing case law. If your lucky that $120 you won might only cost you a few thousand if he tires of the game.

3. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

olderthandirt is 100% correct. He will try to trip you up with procedure. Please don't confuse fairness with our justice system.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Is it illegal in Ark. to drive mowers down a driveway w/ blowers on the deck??? How does that constitute grounds for an appeal?

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Who said that was what he appealed ??

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

That was a joke Mac...I forgot to add the...:D

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, when a lawyer sets out on a personal vendetta, well... it can get ugly.

But this is small fryes stuff as of now. A costly annoyance.
    I've been through worse.

In a situation like this, here is what you do... You get yourself cleaned up and you call to set a business meeting. But make sure your wife knows about it. This is because what you will actually be doing is taking your friend the "Ad Lady" from the local paper to a nice lunch.

While enjoying your nice lunch, of course you will want to lay out a solid advertising program for the upcoming months. During the process, there are several ways to do it, but bring up and discuss this situation with her.

The idea is it would sure be nice if one of their court reporters would just "happen" across these proceedings while scanning through these matters of public record for news. Of course the court reporter would be appauled at the lengths an attorney would go to "legally" harass a regular citizen over loosing a $150 court case. Nobody likes a sore looser and this is juicy news that would go right to the editor.

The beauty is this would make the news without you having ever said a word.
    Well, atleast it would appear this way.
    And of course this would be tracked and updated.

It's funny, public shame can be a powerful thing....

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

envy.... sounds interesting. no wife either.

lawyer.... you got mail! you got mail! hope you like taste of spam! (thats just breakfast) :p

hackers can get even nastier than lawyers...... :D

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

And I'll bet your just the man to open a nice BIG can for him too :D

10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a lawyer jack me around earlier this year about a leaf clean-up job we did last fall. Months went by and he only payed for grass cutting (guess he thought the leaf bill was too high). Finally I sent him a certified letter giving him a date to pay up and he did. I credit the embarrassment factor on this one because we mow his whole subdivision and I bet he wouldn't want his neighbors to know he is a deadbeat (not that I would tell).