1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever take a hit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jun 23, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys ever take a loss from a job?

I experienced my 1st job loss in the last 2 days.

I bid a job $400 to trim some hedges, lawn service and to take down 2 trees that were like 15ft high inc. disposal and cleanup

I'd thought we finished this job in 1 day but its dragging on to 3 days now...

I practically broke even or didnt make nothing, this is my 1st job loss! :(

:( :( :(
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Is the Pope Catholic?
  3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

It happens to everyone. You say, WE, so am I to assume you have a helper? He likely made more on the job than you did.
    You'll make it up on another job.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, nada, never happened, wouldn't allow it, couldn't happen to me, doubt it, no way, not possible, why?, are you an idiot? :D
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

happened to me on one job. sense then i charge ALOT more then i did that job. i always make sure for big jobs that i charge enough to make sure i still make out good if it takes longer then expected. but ya, try to make this the first and last time it happened
  6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

No I havent ever taken a hit - I dont do drugs, hippie. lol
  7. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

you live and you learn. Spring clean-ups suck

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Wait till you get employees with less talent then you and you find your self so buisy you need to trust them on smaller jobs while you do large ones. Your find jobs you can not lose money on can still go bad in the wrong hands.
  9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I learned pretty hard on one of my first cleanups last fall. I bid like 125 bucks, only to find out the leaves were completely soaking wet underneath, what i thought would be a 2 hour job turned out to be about 5.5 hours. good thing it was only labor, and not material cost though.
  10. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I used to bid cleanups. I quit doing that about 3 years ago, now I tell them for clean ups we charge 30 bucks a man hr, and do it till its done. If they dont like it, they can find some one else. Havent had any problems yet. If I think we should have gotten it done quicker, or had machine problems, I will knock some off the bill. I bill for solid hr work, not hr with half hour Im fiddling with my machine.