Ever think of doing something else?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking today what it would be like to own just a little store like a pizza shop or something. I think it would be nice since you wouldn't have rain days or have to deal with the 90+ temps. If you had your choice would you stick with lawn care or do something else? If so what would you like to do? I'll probably end up sticking with lawn care since I'm only 21 I fiqure by the time I'm 30 or so I should have a pretty good buiness going.

2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I wont even go into the details of how many jobs i have had. In the past i have held 3 jobs regularly and perhaps a 4th if i am really hurting for money.

now i quit all my jobs and just mow lawns. LIFE IS GOOD!

In short, ill stick to mowing.
    Acute Cut

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

In the off season I always find employment somewhere else to make sure that Im not missing the "BIG picture". To date I have not found a better office environment than when Im mowing or landscaping, and I havent found something I enjoy more than working outdoors in the elements. I would rather shovel snow than have to be caged in a office.

Kris

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I admit there are days here, when I think to myself, WHY am I'm I doing this?. Then I think to myself, WHY, I am doing this. Then I continue mowing. Hope this makes sense. Down here if you don't have your own business, it's very hard to make it. Been there, done that. My wife is marketing manager at a local hosp and loves it. I need to be outdoors. She is also the smart one in the family. LOL

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I try to think of other ways to turn a profit with existing equipment.Thats one reason i opted for a exmark z.
    I hope it gives more time to do this as it keeps my work
    more interesting.

6. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I have had many different jobs in my life,even a couple of other business. lawn and landscape is something I have always wanted to do and never did until 48 years of age. I'm glad I finally did it, and love it, the only problem I have is that sometimes I get to thinking about it and wonder why I wasted the first 48 yrs

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I know exactly what you are talking about. I wish I was 21 and know what I know now and had Lawnsite.com to guide me along even more. I grew up on a farm operating all sorts of equipment and this is about as close to that as it gets. When I was young, I always wished we had a diesel tractor like the other farmers and now I have 2 diesels. :)

I just wish I would of gone straight from farming to doing this, instead of working those "real jobs". :)

8. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

For the past 7 years I had one of those jobs with so called job security. My ex boss was convinced that my job was going to be 1# in my life. even above my family. When he found out that I had a business He persisted all the more. I no longer work for the man and I am looking forward to full time in the lawn care business.

Ron

9. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reassuring posts guys as I will be 21 in two months. I feel that I am at the crossroads of my life. I am aboout to embark on my first full time season with my partner. We both took the semester off school to give business a chance.

Hope to hell it works!!!

10. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck, my brother and i started up late last summer picked up a couple accounts and a couple leaf accounts, more then I thought. We both love it and should be both quiting this year depending on what happens. I'll be 22 in march so I know how you feel. Hope everything works out.

Chris
    Precision Landscaping.