1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever thought

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Paulsen, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Ever thought about buying a 72" mower and subbing yourself out to other small companys that can't afford or don't have enough bigger account to justify having a bigger mower.I think most small contractor have one or two bigger yards that slow them down but they can't see paying the dollars for a big mower.
  2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do wsome big yards for friends of mine who don't have riders, they mainly do them for the landscpaing so get all the money for the grass mowing. Its kind of nice, I don't have to answer the phone calls!! Plus I know I will get paid.
  3. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Cutter1, that's what I thought .You just mow and they have to put up with the customer and billing .You would only have one mower to take care of.
  4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think this would work for your only income. I do this for about 5 or 6 yards. Most guys will take the time and send guys to a big yard with walkbehinds. That would be nice to only have one mower to work on, but it seems like a bad idea to me.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The biggest problem I see with this is you may have to do a lot of traveling. We mow mainly in one area which is nice, but it is possible for you to get them all in a small area also. Good luck, sounds like a good plan possibly.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

If theres a lot of LCOs in your area it should
    work.Heck just contact some. They might jump on the
    idea.You have to be able to convince them you are
    not going to take their accts. though.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I will not allow any other person to profit off my equipment if one of my friends in the biz gets behind, I will gladly help them out, but I get 100% of the mowing, not 90/10 or anything like that, I get 100% even. If I get behind, I pay the other lco 100% of the mowing, because this gets me out of a bind, I'd rather not profit and have a happy client than have no client!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Just another thought:
    Most of us on here get our business because of the quality of our work. By subbing yourself out then you are making that other company look better. Friends is one thing, but as a business move to strange companies i dont know. My quality of work is my "calling card", by doing this for them then i would enevitibaly be approached by the customer to take over the account since i would be "doing most of the work" anyways. (Or so the customer would see)
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I gotta agree with AC this is a tricky situation. If your work is great on that one site, but the rest of their work is poor craftsmanship, than this will reflect negatively upon you when people get your organization confused with theirs.

Just remember that 1 Oh Sh*t! wipes out 100 Atta Boys!.

Food for thought.

Just looked up and its the Big8 DoubleO

[Edited by kutnkru on 02-28-2001 at 06:24 AM]
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Dont believe I ever heard it put that plainly