Ever use 2-way radios?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by P. Nelson, Sep 17, 2002.

1. P. Nelson

P. Nelson LawnSite Member

Had an idea to buy 2-way radios so I can communicate to my wife when we're mowing a property. Some of my jobs are large and she and I could talk back and forth about where to cut where not to cut etc. They have the voice activation and earplugs that would work well. Anybody ever try that?

2. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Try Nextel..... they have the two way option and your headsets with Push To Talk buttons....

Dave

3. Walkie-talkies, me and a buddy used them years ago, but the same problem lies with them as does with the Nextel radios, you can't hear while mowing. The voice activation don't work all that well. I use similar when in the Bobcat with A/C.

The Nextels' have a whole lot more range than the WT's.

You can get a good pair of radios for about $60.

4. P. Nelson

I wondered if engine noise interference would be an issue. We use am/fm headphones to listen to the radio and to protect our ears. I wonder if putting the earphones on overtop the earpiece for the 2-Way would make it easier to hear the other person. Obviously you would still have the engine noise from VOX when talking but maybe having the earphones over the earpiece would be enough to communicate succesfully.

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I never used them for mowing, but if you have two guys for doing certain winterizations on the sprinkler a two way is the Cats meow. Like for systems that are still stone age and have manual valves.

6. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I tried radios with ear plugs and voice activation.

1) The ear plugs work OK and allow you to hear fairly well but the wire tends to get caught up on stuff.

2) The voice activation feature is usless while mowing or trimming. The engine noise activates the mic and it stays opened most of the time. Not a good choice.

I also found that if you were using them while mowing that someone always was calling me when I was in a tight spot and could not turn loose to talk. NOT SAFE.

The system works OK if you are doing landscaping or planting across a property but how often are you that far apart?

Just my opinon.:rolleyes:

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

we used to use them when plowing snow . we had about 7 trucks going so ited helped to know where everyone was

8. P. Nelson

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if you can turn off the VOX mic so it only activates when depressing the switch on the handheld. That would eliminate unwanted xfer due to engine noise.

9. sprucehavenfarm

sprucehavenfarm LawnSite Member

Cobra makes some FRS radios with a vibrating alert. My wife and I use them on the farm. Works well when on the tractor or in a noisy place. FRS works fine out in the countryside but if I were to buy today I would look at an FRS/GMRS combo for more channels.

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

We use them to let drivers speak to shovelers in the winter and to allow equipment operators to talk to laborers in the summer. When you are out of site or in noisy enviroments, screaming is not an option. The radios provide good reception within a couple miles.