1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ever use a mantis?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Hrock, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Hrock

Hrock LawnSite Member

I have a small bed to put in near a house 4 x 30, my tools would bareley penetrate the soil, its like cement, root bound, thick thatch, will a Mantis rip through this crap.
  2. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I love my Mantis it's over twenty years old and works very well but I don't know just by your description of the soil conditions how well it might work. Sounds like it might be a little much for such a small machine. Can you rent one too try before you decide too buy?
  3. MMINC

MMINC LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

A mantis is a great machine for turning mulch and smaller lighter duty work like that, but it is not heavy enough and powerful enough to penetrate hard soil and roots. rent a full size tiller.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My mantis does better than the troy built tiller I have (its a restored machine I take to tractor shows, but used it when I can't get my tractor mounted tiller in the space) The mantis will dig hard soil. Just soak it before you start to soften it up. The little mantis tillers have guts. The rest of the mini tillers are a joke.
  5. Ice_Gargoylle

Ice_Gargoylle LawnSite Member
    from indiana

id have to agree, it may take a bit longer, but that mantis ROX. i thoguht they were a joke til i used one, man it cleans up.
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i own a stihl tiller, about the same size as the mantis and i bought it for use when we seed in the fall to scatch up the smaller areas and the thing is great, my guys fight over whose gonna use the tiller. pretty amazing tool. tony
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with MMINC. The mantis is nice for smaller areas with softer soil. But doesn't really work for what you're describing.

We bought a Mantis several years ago and these days we maybe bring it out once a year. Otherwise, we rent real rototillers all the time.

One thing to keep in mind - the mantis is designed to be used by pulling it backwards - toward you. Most people don't realize that and try to go forward, like you would with a regular rototiller. It won't do much doing it that way. It's designed to be pulled backwards - that's what makes it dig in more. Also, the tines can be turned around 180 degrees. On one way, it tills shallow. On another way, it tills much deeper.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Great in heavy soils because it applies a lot of energy to a very small area. It sounds like you have roots as your problem. I don't think it will do well there.
  9. Mats

Mats LawnSite Bronze Member

No, a Mantis won't do it. My guess is, you need a heavy pick to grub out the roots and thatch. Watering it deeply and letting it dry for a day or two will help. Once you go over it with a pick, you'll have your 'cement like soil' broken into clods. Then you can take a Mantis or other small tiller and pulverize those into a nice loose soil.

I use a Honda mini-tiller and prefer its digging tines over the normal roto-tilling tines to deal with the heavy clay found in my area.
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Agreed on the mantis not doing it in this case.
    I've had one for years,although a great little piece of equipment they do have their limitations.