1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ever use this aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeshere89, Sep 17, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i just bought this aerator for 200 bucks from my neighbor, i used it today on my own lawn and i think it works great. has anyone else used this john deere brand and what do u think. i am definately going to beef up the tires and axles, after i put weight on top they start to canter inwards. also i use the motor for hooking up the tines and running them at about 16000 rmp. this really get the dirt a flyin.

me 011.jpg
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Waste-o-money. The only thing those do around here is bounce on top of the ground and pull 1/4" plugs. 16,000 rpm....?:confused:
  3. above all

above all LawnSite Member

Do not waste any more money with up grades. Save for a real machine. Mike did you not notice that when you go around a corner that the outside tines rip the grass. oh and don't back up that could cost you a tine or two. But if you do not have a real aerator..... that a good fifty bucks spent.. I would just hate to have to get off what ever it is I'm riding to lift up the tines evertime i come to a sprinker head, pavers, walkways etc.. Maybe your using it only for your yard. Then who cares anyway?

J D CRUSTA LawnSite Member

I am assuming that you don't mean you hook up the motor shown in your picture? It looks like something that requires building wiring, not a mower battery. That unit is not designed to be powered, and I would highly recommend not doing so, at any rpm. It would be dangerous until it broke.
  5. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i was kidding about the motor its all i had for weight, but ya it is kind of a hassle getting on and off again. but beats spending two grand on a ryan or plugger
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This unit is made by Brinley and sells for a couple of hundred bucks, new. Much like the Trac-Vac unit they sell.

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

no offense but that thing looks like a P.O.S. check out the one made my Lesco
  8. turfdog21

turfdog21 LawnSite Member

Blow it off and save your two grand.

It's probably best to let those who know what they're doing (in regards to aerating) handle it.

Think for a minute what you're doing to your (and our business) image.

If you want to aerate...........................get a real aerator!
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The one Lesco has is actually a Classen. Great unit!;)