1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever used one of these Sulky's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Upstate Mike, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Upstate Mike

Upstate Mike LawnSite Member

I found this Sulky page while surfing and I did a search on this site and nothing comes up.There prices are about 100.00 less than other's but I dont know how the quality is.Ever used one or seen one in person?
  2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

The one with the swivel wheels I've seen in a shop before and one I've actually seen in use with a Scag hydro 52". I would assume that the swivel wheel one is good because the wheels are farther apart not like regular dual-wheel sulkies that only work well with 48" mowers cause when used on a wider mower, the drive wheels are father apart and the dual-wheel sulkies don't follow the lines and they make the drive wheels look wider and the stripe isn't as nice. They also look god for turning easily.
  3. Upstate Mike

I cant beleive the price of some of the Sulky's out there.Anybody know what the Turf Rider Hydro sells for? The one in the link above is 210.00 and the Bull Rider goes for 350.00.
  4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer your question - Yes. We bought one of the one-wheel sulkys last year out of the Jthomas dist. catalog. He's some valuable feedback for you. The way that the arm is NOT arched and the way that the arm attaches to the platform doesn't allow the platform to fold up underneath itself when you back up with the mower--- MAJOR PROBLEM. This also prevents you from hanging or transporting the sulky nicely while still attached to the mower (in the trailer) In short, if you pick up the platform, you cannot spin it 180 degrees like you can with a Velkie. This is a huge drawback. In addition, the wheel is tubeless. This means that flats occur much more than the tube style that Velkie uses.
    I agree that Velkies (and some other models) are way too expensive. However, here you kind of get what you pay for unfortunately. Otherwise we had no complaints with the unit (construction is strong etc....) but ultimately these problems forced us to sell the unit after about 3 months (and get another Velkie).
    I hope the people at Havner read this - I'd sure like to see them improve on these design points and keep the price the same. We certainly give them another try if they corrected these problems - Hope that helps you.
  5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we dont usethem for the simple fact that the areas where they would be best put to use, are areas where we use our ZTR's.

a friend of mine who works with a larger outfit once told me that some employees got hurt using them(pulled hamstring i think). i suppose this would happen when you have to step off and get back on again. now, that company has gone on to se the turf slider as opposed to a velkie, or sulky. the word is that they make more defined mowing lines.also,they dont leave a wheel mark behind like the one wheeled versions, or 2 wheel versions that dont line up with rear wheels.

i have tried different types before at various shows, and the only one i ever liked was a lesco model attached to a lesco hydro unit.
  6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

i suppose i should have explained what a turf slider is. basically,(ive never actually tried one)it is a piece of metal with diamond back plating on top that slides along the ground, and has no wheels. i know our local dealer can get them, but i dont know where he orders them from.
  7. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I use the single wheel sulky on a 52" and love it...in tight corners, you won't hit any obstructions...since there is no elbow in the arm, backing up is no problem...someone in a reply said they prefer the sulky with a tube, but I prefer one without, mainly because when you pick up a nail in a tubless, you just plug it, use fix-a-flat to inflate, and you're ready...with a tube tire, you have to take the wheel off, take the tube out, patch it, insert the tube, then install the wheel...I have another sulky with with the 2-wheel setup with tube tires...it's not as manuevarable as the single wheel sulky, so you tend to hit objects in tight turns....hopes this helps...
  8. Upstate Mike

I think I may get the one with the swiveling wheels and the fixed arm for my Hustler WB.I here the fixed platforms work better on these machines because of how the controls work.Thanks for all the comments
  9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I too have used 2 wheel from Lesco. It is a heavy unit and works really good for me. Others might not like it. I have heard good things from the pro slide too. You might want to check them out.

10. JET

JET LawnSite Member

I could not find the two wheel one that you said you have on your Lesco. I don't think the Novae Corp. even manufactures this model anymore. It looks like the only sulky model they offer is the Proslide. Just to let you know, maybe I was not looking hard enough.