1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever wake up and decide you didn't want to work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Jul 20, 2004.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i woke up this morning at the crack of 9 cause i have a "light" day today. the sun is out shining, birds chirping, a slight breeze... the perfect day to go out and bust some hump to make some money or not.

i decided to take today "off". Even on days off i still find myself working. i've made about half a dozen calls on estimates and other business oddities. I'll probably go out later and measure out a patio job and get an estimate ready for the HO. I've still got to go to the bank. I've gotta fill up the truck and equipment for my mowing later in the week. I've gotta chase down one deadbeat who owes me money. The blades need sharpening. i need to mix up more 2stroke. i need to grease up the spindles on the WB. i need .... the more you do business the more time it takes in overhead and non-revenue-generating time.

Its just another reminder to the newer guys that the sweatin' hours aren't all the hours truly involved with running a business.

The last reason for taking today off is that tomorrow (weds) is my last class/final for one of my degrees. after that class i've got a heavy workload for teh rest of the summer. So i figure anyway that i can get ahead of myself now will help me starting thursday.
  2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

There is a lot of time that goes into this line of work that is not a direct billable expense. They are the indirect expenses of doing business such as sharpen blades that you have to pass onto the customer.

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

That is one of the reasons I want to build in a 1/2 day or so within my work week just for maintenance and some odds & ends.

Think that can be done? I'm part time and solo this season, next season will be full time solo.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sure, it happens all the time!:D
  5. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Uh...nope. Never happens to me...uh, uh. Not a chance...

What time is it?
  6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Every day lately. It is the time of year that I start praying for winter. Have had two days off since May. Come on Dec. Enough complaining back out to mow I go.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i know the feeling boys. last week i took off saturday and monday and made a long weekend to get away with some friends to cape cod. it totally recharged my batteries. other than those two days i've had maybe 5-7 days off since april 15th or there abouts.

Now its time to go outside and lounge about in the sun with a nice cold beer on the patio by the pool :-D.
  8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

9. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't that what weekends are for?

Just kidding....definetly get that feeling but just remember the money and you'll get out of bed
  10. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yea lots of times but I work anyway almost all the time.